Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203210 - 06/10/10 10:21 PM New Survival Show on Discovery.
tommyb Offline
Stranger

Loc: Mississippi

I just saw the add for this show yesterday. "Dual Survival" is starting on Discovery Channel at 9:00 pm Central time on Friday. One of the people on the show is Cody Lundin and the other is a more modern guy that I can't remember his name.

Also, the Science channel is doing a small Survivorman marathon on Saturday during the day.

-Tommy

#203214 - 06/10/10 11:11 PM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: tommyb]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'll try to remember to check that out, thanks.

#203229 - 06/11/10 01:11 AM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: tommyb]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
The other guy is Dave Canterbury and he has some very good videos in You Tube at wildernessoutfitters.

#203233 - 06/11/10 02:55 AM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: GauchoViejo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I still think Cody's "98.6 degrees the art of keeping your ass alive" is one of the best EDC, prepper books I've ever read.

#203307 - 06/12/10 03:36 AM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: comms]
tommyb Offline
Stranger

Loc: Mississippi
Although I've liked Lundin's books, I find his approach in this show to be, well, just a little bit stupid. F*it, dress for the climate you are in.

I adjust the clothing and food components of my ekit in the automobile based on summer or winter conditions and where I'm going. I'm very careful about what I store in the auto in the summer in Mississippi -- I've recordered up to 155 degree F temps and have melted at least one credit card. These temps tend to exceed most emergency supply storage ratings except for lifeboat rations. One summer and water in plastic bottles develop an off taste.

Overall, I felt the show suffered from the two different, ie "Odd Couple" advertisement, viewpoints of the two experts. I muted a significant portion of the audio during the show. I will give it a couple more episodes, but so far I'm not liking it. There were
some good tidbits of information hidden in the garbage.

I think in this episode I side with Dave Canterbery thoughts on survival.

-Tommy

#203331 - 06/12/10 02:05 PM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: tommyb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tommyb
I think in this episode I side with Dave Canterbery thoughts on survival.

In terms of clothing, I absolutely agree. It's worth saying though that Cody said out loud that he didn't recommend going with short pants and no shoes for anybody who hasn't been doing it for 20 years.

Dave in my mind really screwed up when he took his birchbark torch to go check his deadfall traps at night. That was dumb.

Dave's porcupine kill was skillful and clean, and I learned more about field dressing game from that show than I have from any other video (I've never hunted or killed anything to eat other than fish). Both Dave and Cody talked about using every part of your kill.

Cody's shelter was excellent. I wish we'd seen a little more of how he built it. I also liked his approach to grazing while gathering slow-moving protein.

While the director and editor did emphasize the "odd couple" theme of the show, we did see Cody and Dave work well together for the most part.

All in all I liked the show.

#203342 - 06/12/10 05:32 PM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: chaosmagnet]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I watched 8 minutes of it and had to stop, geez this show is horrible. I kept yelling in my mind "oh ffs shut up and do something", it's like watch a clown show compare to Mears or Survivorman.

Maybe I'll fast forward through it later.

#203344 - 06/12/10 07:46 PM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: jzmtl]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Just watched it - and thoroughly enjoyed. The only part a bit artificial was the back and forth between Canterbury and Lundin on their two different approaches - survival prep vs. nature boy.

Lundin has a quick wit and they both showed some good skills. Nice shelter by Lundin & the quick kill by Canterbury of the porcupine, using an oar.

I will definitely watch future episodes.

#203346 - 06/12/10 08:08 PM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: tomfaranda]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
"Like wow man, so it's below freezing, snow on the ground, and I am barefoot. It's how I live!"

Well Cody, IMHO you live stupidly. Ok, your mitochondria are little furnaces in your feet. My feet are warm and dry cuz I have on boots and dry sox. I am not burning calories keeping my feet from freezing, and my legs for that matter. I wonder how much food that dude needs to function.

Having said that, good going on the shelter.

BTW - If you look at the disclaimer, same as Bear's. Wonder if they get to stay in hotel rooms off camera. Sorta doubt it as they were in the butt end of no place for episode 1.

#204223 - 07/02/10 09:42 PM Re: New Survival Show on Discovery. [Re: JBMat]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i've only seen the first two episodes, but here's my two cents
:

too early to really say, but I think it's pretty good. i'd turn the dial down on the backwoods cussin though. yeah, we males tend to let loose a bit when left to our own devices, but what does this have to do with survival?

1. the advertising.
not exactly show-specific comment, but the ads and spots are playing up the personality conflicts WAY too much. That's sort of the point of the show, but it should be about the contrast in methodology, not bickering.
actually, that's a pet peeve i have with Discovery's advertising in general lately. Way too much "drama." It's a turn off for fans of the genre who, like me, don't care for the "reality show" type stuff, and those who do like it get set up for disappointment, because there's not that much actual conflict going on.
2. Maybe ease back on the epic-journey music, as it's just doesn't fit what's on screen. He's chasing a porcupine, not battling the Cloverfield monster.
3. SHOW US WHAT'S GOING ON! if the point of the show is contrast in methodology then we need to see more of their respective methods. ok, Cody doesn't wear shoes and Dave thinks he's a crazy hippie. we get it; move on.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.