Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#202309 - 05/23/10 02:46 AM The New Essentials?
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Things change, people change, what was 'essential', what we can't imagine doing without, has changed over the years. And, as she notes, people in rough times still need diversions and entertainment. Possibly more than ever.

http://scienceblogs.com/casaubonsbook/2010/05/the_new_essentials.php

Comments, ideas.

#202318 - 05/23/10 10:33 AM Re: The New Essentials? [Re: Art_in_FL]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Sooooo...

wink

you're dating Sharon, right?

smile

True story: household of many(5?) adults, barely scraping by, get infusion of cash from cash strapped overseas relative ... and they upgrade the television. I guess losing weight is cheaper than losing your mind smile and you can't beat TV for variety (back before internet had TV)

This new essentials list, is really a list for technophile internet addicts smile A guy I know spends his time keeping updated on building codes, smoking, and fishing. His essentials? Cigarettes and fishing gear.

#202319 - 05/23/10 10:39 AM Re: The New Essentials? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i see no change; she's simply expanded on what the "morale" need entails in modern society.

don't get me wrong; the laptop is coming with me if i have to bug out, i'm just saying the need for some zen has always been among the essentials.

Edited by Erik_B (05/23/10 10:44 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#202340 - 05/23/10 09:39 PM Re: The New Essentials? [Re: Erik_B]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

One of the best morale/entertainment values out there are the public libraries. I have been told by local librarians that in many library systems even people living outside the district can qualify to use the library by simply asking, explaining your intent, and registering. My library district allows transients, homeless persons, and people with no fixed address to get a library card and make use of the system.

In addition to the expected books the library has video tapes, DVDs, and computer programs on CD. Within branch libraries you have free computers hooked to a high-speed internet connection. In the library system you can set up a free e-mail account. Many branches also have open Wi-Fi connection so you can connects to the internet if you bring your laptop. An acquaintance drives his van near the local library branch and parks for hours to use their connection.

Also the librarians themselves are often a good resource. When they have the time many of them seem to quite enjoy researching obscure bits of information. It is kind of like having your own staff of researchers.

#203191 - 06/10/10 05:19 PM Re: The New Essentials? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Interesting to hear about homeless people with laptops/smart phones. I wonder how many bought them before they became homeless. I suspect most, and it's another reminder that homelessness can affect ordinary people who had thought they could afford that stuff before they became homeless.

#203212 - 06/10/10 10:43 PM Re: The New Essentials? [Re: Brangdon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

There is an entire subset of homeless people who are not entirely destitute. Many are, by necessity, so mobile that having a home is simply not practical. Some of them may collect their resources and establish flop-houses where people in the group can find a place where they can sleep, receive mail, shower for less than it would cost to get a room in a hotel. Sometimes such stays are limited due to time or money constrains to a few times a week. The balance of the time they sleep in their car or any other place they can manage.

These people are often holding down jobs and maintaining a seeming middle-class existence. If these people get laid off they simply sleep less often in the community flop and more often in their car.

#203282 - 06/11/10 07:53 PM Re: The New Essentials? [Re: Art_in_FL]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

These people are often holding down jobs and maintaining a seeming middle-class existence. If these people get laid off they simply sleep less often in the community flop and more often in their car.

I know more than a few people living like this. Remember -a prepaid mobile is cheaper than a landline, and a laptop replaces a whole slew of other equipment and, these days, it's utterly essential to your economic well being to be online and in touch.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.