Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#202083 - 05/19/10 12:51 PM Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA
A hailstorm–no, the mother of all hail storms–swept through Oklahoma city on Sunday with 60 mile-per-hour winds and golf-ball to soft-ball size hail. OKC ambulances took 21 people to the hospital, while the fire department was busy with downed power lines and car wrecks. The police, for their part, saw 34 of their vehicles damaged. Click here to see this guy's pool explode.

#202086 - 05/19/10 01:08 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun [Re: Horus]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Yeah that is awesome, caught it yesterday.

#202092 - 05/19/10 03:08 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun [Re: roberttheiii]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
I forwarded that to a friend of mine who owns a roof engineering business. I imagine he's working the phone for business right now...

#202103 - 05/19/10 04:29 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Thats crazy!! I have alot of family that lives in OK, and hopefully they didnt have to go through this. Just...damn!!

#202124 - 05/19/10 08:38 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun [Re: sybert777]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Wow, crazy stuff. I went through a hail storm with golf ball sized hail once a few years ago while in my truck (turns out it was a cell that had just finished producing a tornado). It was one of those oh crap moments where at first I couldn't decide whether or not to stop under a tree to try and shield the car from the hail (it was visibly shaking the windshield with each hit so bad I though it was going to break). Luckily the tree I chose didn't fall, but the poor truck had several dents.

On a side note, is it just me or is it really annoying when people hold the camera about as still as a crackhead after a few days of going sober?

#202126 - 05/19/10 09:14 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun [Re: speedemon]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: speedemon
On a side note, is it just me or is it really annoying when people hold the camera about as still as a crackhead after a few days of going sober?

that, along with (without bringing religion into this at all) 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god'.....
enough already. be still. 1 picture = 1,000 words.

#202129 - 05/19/10 11:06 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Sun [Re: bsmith]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: speedemon

that, along with (without bringing religion into this at all) 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god', 'oh, my god'.....
enough already. be still. 1 picture = 1,000 words.

With video equipment becoming cheap and light enough to be handy everyone get to be a cameraman. IMHO if everyone is a cameraman everyone should learn the basics. Like keeping the camera upright and steady. Hint: leaning against, or holding the camera against, something can greatly improve the shot. Door frames, signposts, leaning across the hood or top or a car all make for steady shots. One friend sits and puts the camera on her knees.

Commentary can help or hurt. Videos that don't include enough information can be weak. People want to know when and where it was shot and what they are seeing. Many cameras have date and time which helps, if it is set right, but that doesn't tell me where it is.

Reactions are okay. But after the first three OMGs it is just annoying. The video above is better with the sound off.

Also, it is always good, IMHO, to mention or otherwise give credit to sites that bring an interesting video to your attention. Link love is a universal good.

Corrected for spelling.

Edited by Art_in_FL (05/19/10 11:07 PM)

#202131 - 05/19/10 11:45 PM Re: Video: Mother of All Hailstorms in OKC last Su [Re: Art_in_FL]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Regarding keeping a camera as steady as possible, it's impossible to keep a camera steady without a tripod and every movement is amplified by how far in the zoom is pushed. To keep a shot as steady as possible zoom out when you can't use a tripod.

Wild video, by the way.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.