Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#201220 - 04/30/10 01:13 PM Domestic Electricy Energy Monitor.
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A free Envi Power monitor was delivered to me today (I almost purchased another device at the local supermarket a few days ago so has saved me about $50. smile ) from my electricity supplier. It allows the ability to monitor energy usage throughout the home and allows users to determine the energy efficiency of various appliances and monitor the usage throughout the day/week/month etc using computer software called Techtoniq Energy Station. It could prove extremely useful for reducing electricity energy costs and determining the energy consumption over a period of time for various power hungry appliances such as domestic refrigerators and freezers etc.

Interesting it has been shown that having the information about home energy consumption and costs directly at hand can reduce energy bills by an average of 20%.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/30/10 01:16 PM)

#201222 - 04/30/10 02:23 PM Re: Domestic Electricy Energy Monitor. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I think most people will be surprised by how much power is consumed by all the things in the house that they thought were turned "off". For example, anything controlled by a remote control, like TV's and entertainment systems, need to draw power while off to detect a remote control signal. The amount of power drawn can vary widely. Some are miserly, others are not. PC's and laptops are other appliances that many of us leave on all day. Even while in sleep mode, they can draw enough power to really add up over time.

#201229 - 04/30/10 04:14 PM Re: Domestic Electricy Energy Monitor. [Re: Arney]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some of those need power thuugh. We have a TV that we don't have a cable box connected to and just let it tune the basic cable channles that it can without a cable box. Unplugging it you have to let it rescan for channels again. Cable boxes, satalite recivers, DVR's all need to be powered on to be able to get updates and such. Most people have their computers do virus scans, backups, etc at night.
Last job I worked I wore the desktop support hat. One user kept complaining about her computer being really slow and I never found anything wrong so I checked in the morning when she first came in, she was turning it off at night so the AV scan was running first thing in the morning and was taking hours since she was trying to work while it was running. We had to run Av scan every night when I first came in there because the desktops were in bad shape, users had admin rights, using internet explorer instead of a safe browser, etc so there were virus'es all over.

Somehting I've done with my home is go to the power companies web site and download my usage history (they keep three years) so as I make a change I can see if it made any effect. Plot it on a spreadsheet graph and see if the mean goes up or down over time.

#201259 - 05/01/10 05:40 PM Re: Domestic Electricy Energy Monitor. [Re: Eugene]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Funny this post came up, I was using my Kill-A-Watt yesterday to compare my new computer to my old one and 1 power supply compared to another (for efficiency).

Like you said, I think if more people did this energy usage would go down. I know I used to leave my computers on 24/7 now I turn them off every night. It's not that the extra 10/month is a lot but I`m all about saving money wherever I can!

What sucks the most for me is even turned off most appliances still use 2-5 watts. Multiple that by a bunch of appliances and you are probably paying 1-3$ more a month, again not a lot but sucks for something you are not using.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.