The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#196082 - 02/18/10 01:01 PM Aquaponics
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Interesting article in today's New York Times on aquaponics. This might be a fun thing to experiment with in a quest to become more food-independant when you don't have the space or growing season for a full outdoors garden.

NY Times: Aquaponics, a Gardening System Using Fish and Circulating Water

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

#196086 - 02/18/10 02:15 PM Re: Aquaponics [Re: Jesselp]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That's a pretty good article. As mentioned, Backyard Aquaponics, has a great forum on the subject. There is a lot of useful information there and some great posts about forum member's aquaponic systems.

#196093 - 02/18/10 03:09 PM Re: Aquaponics [Re: Nicodemus]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Jesselp and Nicodemus, thanks for these links. The Times article is fascinating.

#196134 - 02/19/10 05:28 AM Re: Aquaponics [Re: nurit]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Joel Malcolm is the Aussie genius behind Backyard Aquaponics. I knew him when he first came up with the idea at the Oz Permaculture forum. He has experimented and discarded and designed and tweaked it until it works like a dream. His site is great and very informative, and there's a good forum on the various aspects, too. Nice guy.

The last time we had a private conversation, he said that an American couple were going to have his units for sale here.

Sue

#196214 - 02/20/10 06:17 AM Re: Aquaponics [Re: Susan]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Susan
Joel Malcolm is the Aussie genius behind Backyard Aquaponics.

Oops! We've probably broke his site by increased number of visits in an avalanche. The site and the forum is down as of now. Is there anything like build plans of his setup there? Or that's his business secret?

#196229 - 02/20/10 06:30 PM Re: Aquaponics [Re: Alex]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
The Backyard Aquaponics Forum is loading for me.

They share pretty much all the information there. There is a "basic level of understanding" that at times leads to a shorthand of sorts. It only means you have to search other parts of the forum for information to fill out the concepts. In other words, it's not a step by step "how to" manual, but you can figure it out by reading through different posts. It's like just about any other forum in that regard.

You could definitely build just about any size system by reading the forum though.

Forum members often post their designs before they build, and the other members will help troubleshoot the system.

I really should officially join, but I haven't due to the fact that I'm not living in a place where I could build an aquaponic system yet.

#196253 - 02/21/10 12:58 AM Re: Aquaponics [Re: Alex]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Joel provides ready-made fish tanks and grow beds, but he wants to see more Backyard Aquaponics out there if you use stock tanks and regular hydroponic beds, or homemade concrete/wire units.

You can come up with an idea and post it in the forum, and those who've tried something like it and those who've thought of doing it that way will chime in and make suggestions.

Last spring, I held a small benefit plant sale for my friend's cat rescue organization. One man came and bought some plants, and we got to chatting, and he said he was doing regular hydroponics, but the nutrient cost was so high that he was thinking of dropping the whole thing. I asked him if he knew about Backyard Aquaponics (he didn't), and as soon as I explained the fish-poop angle as a main source of nutrients, I saw the light go on by the expression on his face. "That's brilliant!" he said, scrambling to find something to write on. "It makes so much sense, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself!"

If anyone here is actually considering a setup like that, be sure to investigate feeding (at least partially) the fish with homegrown Black Soldier Fly (BSF) larvae. It's easiest if you live in warmer parts of the country, but they are native even in the Seattle area. Last week, I was transferring a compost pile from the abandoned house next door to my garden, and discovered overwintering BSF in the compost.

BSF are non-pests, non-disease-carrying, don't go into houses except accidentally, adults have no mouths, and the larvae eat anything except high-fiber materials like cardboard, paper, grass, straw, etc. One hundred pounds of kitchen or restaurant waste, meat scraps, fish guts, livestock or dog poop turns into approximately 20 pounds of self-harvesting larvae that are high in protein and calcium, great fish food.

Two informative sites:

On-site Recycling of Food Residuals by Dr. Paul Olivier

Black Soldier Fly forum (U.S.)

Sue

#196928 - 03/01/10 07:17 PM Re: Aquaponics [Re: Jesselp]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
A year or more ago I stumbled upon the "Farm Fountain ". While the main article is about the exhibit garden if you dig in you see some other examples and pictures. Browsing through the associated links and forums can result in some interesting info.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.