Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#196084 - 02/18/10 01:55 PM Question for EMT's
LoneWolf Offline

Howdy All,

Little background here. I have a long term goal of becoming a Flight Nurse on the air ambulance service in my home town. I have just finished nursing school, got my RN and am currently working as an RN on an Intensive Care Unit.

I need about three years experience as an RN before I can apply for a flight nurse position so I have some time to get my other certifications completed. One of those is a licensed EMT-P. Here come the questions .... does the "P" stand for paramedic? Also, if I go back to school to get the EMT-P, do I then need to work as an EMT-P to keep it active? Would that be something that I would do as a volunteer at a fire department?

Honestly, I'm a bit burnt out on school so I don't have a huge desire to start back right now, but I need to be looking at the timing of things.

Thanks,
LW

#196087 - 02/18/10 02:20 PM Re: Question for EMT's [Re: LoneWolf]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I'm not a medic, just a lowly EMT-B ("basic") so take what I say with some salt.

EMT-P is indeed paramedic. I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that some states may allow you to challenge the EMT-P exam with your RN credential. Might be worth looking into. Otherwise, I'm sure there would be a lot of duplication in the coursework (A&P, pharma, etc.).

I don't think you'd have to actually "work" to keep the medic cert, but you would have to take refresher courses every few years. Also, medics do a variety of skills that get rusty if they don't use them, such as starting lines, intubation, etc. You may do all that in your nursing job, so it might not be an issue, but it's something to think about.

You should know that working on a air ambulance is a very dangerous occupation. Not trying to talk you out of it, but go in with your eyes open!

#196090 - 02/18/10 02:30 PM Re: Question for EMT's [Re: LoneWolf]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
To answer some of you questions:

First of all congratulations on earning your RN, I think it will serve you well.

Yes, the “P” stands for Paramedic. EMT-B is EMT-Basic, EMT-I is EMT-Intermediate and EMT-P is EMT-Paramedic. Some states may have some additional titles, such as here in Maryland we have CRT= Cardiac Rescue Technician. The EMT-I / CRT and EMT-P are Advanced Life Support (ALS) levels. As to what you would need to do to obtain your ALS affiliation will depend upon the state in which you plan on practicing. Here in Maryland, an RN must take the EMT-B (around 180hrs) course, sit for the National Registry exam at the EMT-P level (written and practical) then take the state protocol test and then meet with their local Medical Director. Depending upon the local jurisdictional requirements, they must be precepted on 5-10 calls before they can function as an ALS provider. If you are associated with a commercial service, requirements may be different, but you can only function under the medical license of the Medical Director of the commercial service. Each jurisdiction may vary in the association of their ALS program within the EMS and/or Fire Service. Here in Frederick, it is a separate arm within the Department of Fire/Rescue, but is not associated with a particular fire department.

Pete

#196094 - 02/18/10 03:20 PM Re: Question for EMT's [Re: LoneWolf]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: LoneWolf
.... does the "P" stand for paramedic? Also, if I go back to school to get the EMT-P, do I then need to work as an EMT-P to keep it active? Would that be something that I would do as a volunteer at a fire department?

Congratulations on getting your RN!

The "P" does stand for Paramedic. State laws vary widely, but you may be eligible to challenge (test without taking the course) either the EMT-Basic or Paramedic exam for certification. In some states, an RN with EMT (by course) certification can challenge Paramedic. An existing EMT certification (and, sometimes, field experience) is almost always required for admission to a paramedic program or for paramedic certification.

The entire EMT + Paramedic curriculum, with pre- and co-requisites can run about 2 years, but would be maybe about a year with your RN.

EMT-Basic programs are usually just a single semester, single class course, maybe 5-8 hours per week. Paramedic programs for EMT's typically run about a full calender year around here, and are quite a bit more intensive and time-consuming than EMT classes.

There are also "cram" courses that teach EMT or Paramedic in much less time, usually by for-profit providers, but the quality of their product is often not well regarded. However, since you already have an RN, you have enough clinical credibility to overcome doubts, and one of these may fit your needs.

I'm sure you're aware that pre-hospital emergency medicine has, in part, it's own unique skill and knowledge set that must be mastered and is usually not taught, or at least not taught well, anywhere other than in EMT or Paramedic school, not even in PTLS, etc. Things are sometimes done differently in the field. A code in the hospital, with a patient in bed, a full code team of MD's, RN's, and RT's, in a roomy, well-lit hospital is not like running a code all by yourself on the floor of a filthy, cramped mobile home bathroom (if you're with an EMT partner, you do all IV's, all advanced airways, push meds and run the monitor by yourself, plus you gotta pick up and move it all to the ambo at some point) In addition, you deal with some things that aren't strictly medical, like hazmat and extrication. Therefore, I'd respectfully suggest at least a full EMT course, and then challenge the Paramedic if you want.

Your paramedic recertification usually can be kept current just by completing CEU's, without having to work. Your state may be different.

You can work or volunteer for your local rescue squad, FD, or Ambulance service for experience, but you may be restricted to BLS only, at least at first, since practicing ALS, even if you're a certified Paramedic, will usually require knowledge of, and testing on, local protocols, approval of a medical director, and direct verification of your practical competence by observation and experience with a field training officer.

Most FD's want you to have firefighter certification, but some run EMS separately from fire suppression. In addition, you may need various "merit badges", some of which you likely have, such as ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, EVOC, HAZMAT, before you can work on an ambo or rescue.

Edit:I got distracted and didn't post this until some time after I wrote it, which was before all the other good replies were posted, and I didn't see them before I clicked "post." Sorry for the redundancy

Edited by Jeff_M (02/18/10 03:28 PM)

#196179 - 02/19/10 07:18 PM Re: Question for EMT's [Re: Jesselp]
LoneWolf Offline

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the answers to my quesitons and the kind words of congratulations. I really appreciate it.

Jesselp, I have to say that after working in the health care field for a while that NO one is a LOWLY anything. wink You guys do a fantastic job, so please don't sell yourself short.

Thanks again everyone.

LW

#196183 - 02/19/10 09:31 PM Re: Question for EMT's [Re: Jeff_M]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Congrats on the RN!

I too had/have the inclination to be a flight nurse as well. Just a little insight: I was a volunteer Fire fighter for 8 years, a professional EMT for 9 years and I have been an RN on Tele / Cardiac ICU for a a year now.

I have found that I very much miss the wail of the sirens and the rush of the call. However, I found out that I know very little about my job that I have to fully apply myself. There is SOOOOOOO much to learn and being in an ICU setting, you are going to need to learn everything!

I am not trying to be a dream killer, I am simply stating that I have been there and doing that, dont stretch yourself too thin. Patients are depending on you.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.