Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#194411 - 01/27/10 09:01 PM Hobo signs?
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
Just sitting around the campfire enjoying the peace and quiet. I started thinking “how could I let someone else know how great this place is? As I went farther with my thinking I started wondering “what if I needed to communicate with others in a disaster situation?” “What if I wanted to tell someone don’t drink this water? I remembered a movie about a girl during the depression and someone talking about Hobo signs so I Googled Hobo signs. There is a lot of information online along with drawings and explanations. That’s when I remembered about the fish sign Christians use to identify each other. We have been using signs to communicate for eons. Am I thinking wrong or would signs be a way to communicate to others in a survival situation? Most Hobo signs deal with how to get handouts from others or how to stay away from Police or bad people but, others are for showing good safe places to sleep, good or bad water, safe camping areas and where danger lurks. I know if you are lost you will want to leave signs to show which way you went or where you are but, in a disaster where others may be bugging out with you this may be a good communication skill to have.
What do you all think?

#194412 - 01/27/10 09:04 PM Re: Hobo signs? [Re: CAL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
You are correct, in the past almost all records were done with symbols. I think they would help when lost, an arrow for example or an X smile

#194417 - 01/27/10 10:04 PM Re: Hobo signs? [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. There are just too many troublemakers and deadbeats around. Use a good place once, leave a sign, come back in a few months and find it stripped and full of trash, and maybe a dead body or two.

America was a different place 70 years ago -- fewer people, and not so many nasty ones.

Sue

#194418 - 01/27/10 10:08 PM Re: Hobo signs? [Re: Todd W]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Symbols born of a time and place are a sort of wink-wink, you get me? shorthand. Sk8rgrl...

I suppose hobo symbols are, in some sense, as old as the concept of language itself. We may view prehistoric cave-drawings as some kind of self-expression; but they may have enormously practical implications for the day.

As far as universal symbols goes: the skull and crossbones is pretty universal for defining minefields, poisonous water or material, etc.

There's an effort to define symbols that will deter humans from digging into nuclear waste dumps ... tens of thousands of years from now.

And then there's the graffiti of street gangs, which has more immediate implications.

#194436 - 01/28/10 06:43 AM Re: Hobo signs? [Re: dougwalkabout]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am not one to leave signs unless it was to mark a dangerous situation as already quoted.

There aren't so many Hobo's around at the present time, at least in the sense of the Hobo population that there was back in the 20's and 30's.

I do think it would be a good idea to keep a list and learn that list of signs. Knowing those old and present signs would warn you away from a dangerous area or indicate a home that would provide a meal when asked.

Much of the Hobo's signs indicated warnings to other Hobo's. The warnings might indicate a town in which beggers were jailed, a household that was hostile to uninvited visitors or a household that would give a meal when asked. That sign would be a scratch on the gatepost leading to the home or something along those lines.

#194441 - 01/28/10 01:56 PM Re: Hobo signs? [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I leave signs if I am on point and need to mark the way for others. Otherwise, no.

#194450 - 01/28/10 03:14 PM Re: Hobo signs? [Re: benjammin]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
IMO learning and knowing hobo signs is a worthwhile pursuit. as previously mentioned being able to leave universal signs behind so any who happen to follow are apprised of danger seems to be helpful, especially if you are the one following. but there is another way i look at it. humans, being squirrelly, would leave false marks, or obliterate marks, or change them. If you could get a good hot meal from a specific home, would you want to share that resource with every other person behind you? or perhaps maybe keep others away so they will have food to share when you are there?

or possibly leave a sign for a good meal that leads into a mine field?

i am thinking that, as has already been implemented, if i leave a sign behind, its for my family. basically a code that they understand but not general knowledge. each family member has a sign, either carved or something out of place. think of "My side of the mountain" an acorn on a rock to most means nothing, but if its not around an oak tree it can. thats the basic notion.

lastly, i know that its not fool-proof but it works. hunting for mushrooms on public land me and mine communicate in this manner. even with other people around.
I have an extra.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.