The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192233 - 12/31/09 02:52 AM Tricky Situation
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
MY DD and her BF decided to get help me celebrate my birthday last Saturday. They decided to get me a FatMax Rolling Toolbox. It is the one with three compartments and a telescoping handle. BTW, this was the first time we have met the new BF. He is a construction framer guy. So, I am in the midst of getting the house ready for the party when the BF decides he just has to give me the present. My DD told him to wait because I was locked in on getting things ready. I was totally in the zone. Anyway, they roll this thing out. I look up and say "thanks" in an indifferent (some would say annoyed) manner. Then I went back to finishing up. Needless to say, there was some doubt about my true "thanks" for the gift. In general, I personally ruled out this particular toolbox for possible purchase because it has too many things wrong with for my situation. Now I am struggling to see what I can do with it. I cannot just have it disappear.

As a side, my brother, knowing my penchant for looking at things in the PRS (preparedness/readiness/survival) mode starts joking about how I will accessorize the box for just such purposes. Now I am thinking of doing it, maybe. UUGGGGGGHHHHH! crazy

#192234 - 12/31/09 03:01 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: MoBOB]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Maybe use it as a vehicle based BOB? I've got a Craftsman rolling box with a telescoping handle that I use for work stuff. Looked at the FatMax but needed a larger main compartment for my own use. I will say that I see a fair number of them, the FatMax's that is, on film sets and they're not babied.

Worst case, re-gift it to the local Habitat for Humanity or a similar group?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#192237 - 12/31/09 03:09 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: JohnE]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You only have to worry if the BF lasts. If he's gone in a few weeks/months, no problem.

Sue

#192239 - 12/31/09 03:23 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ahh, Cynical Sue grin

#192241 - 12/31/09 03:39 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: JohnE]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

My little Hyundai Accent already has storage issues. I may have to jockey and shuffle things (read: clean out) a little. whistle

#192242 - 12/31/09 03:41 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: Susan]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Sue,

Right now they do not see each other enough for her to get bored with him or him to get tired of her being high maintenance. laugh

#192251 - 12/31/09 05:35 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: MoBOB]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It may not be your personal favourite item, but be honest: is this a hill you want to die on? It's too darn easy to poison family relations; and it's a vertical climb to set things right.

IMO, you should be gracious and make a point of finding a use for it (if only to organize your tax receipts or vacuum cleaner attachments). And casually let people know you are using it. What's the cost to you? Nothing, really. Same as the cost of a smile, a wave to a courteous driver, or a kind word to a sales clerk. Think of it as an investment in future good relations, that will pay off when something big and difficult comes up.

That's my $0.02.

BTW: When I give gifts, I always make a point of saying that "if it's not suitable for you, I won't be offended if you re-gift it or donate it to your favourite charity; I bought it to be useful, not to gather dust." I note that others in my extended family are starting to use the same line.

#192254 - 12/31/09 06:12 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: dougwalkabout]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
If you break it and have to get a stronger model it's not their fault it didn't last wink

#192258 - 12/31/09 06:45 AM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Ah, the unwanted gift. What is the real problem?

Have you offended anyone? If so, consider dealing directly by apologizing. A little self-deprecation goes a long way.

Does your family have some kind of use-my-gift-or-I-will-be-offended rule? In other words, are gifts given with strings attached and not as true gifts? If so, this is a troubling relationship and communication pattern that goes beyond the toolbox. I defer to professionals regarding any suggestions on how to deal with this.

Is it just being stuck with a toolbox you cannot use? Consider letting the thing sit for a while and see if you can discover a job for which it is well suited. Maybe outfit it to serve another family member?

Did they give you the receipt so you can do a return? If so, I see no problem - just return it for credit or something you really want / need.

The real gift, of course, was the respect and love shown to you and the toolbox was just a vehicle for that gift.

Edited by dweste (12/31/09 07:00 AM)

#192307 - 12/31/09 10:52 PM Re: Tricky Situation [Re: dweste]
NAro Offline
Addict

Because I'm in a tornado area, and possible earthquake area, I keep my "bug-in" kit in a large wheeled steel cabinet. It resides in an area unlikely to be crushed or covered by debris. Have you thought about using you rolling tool box in a similar way?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.