Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185259 - 10/14/09 12:14 PM It began when I started to go blind.
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
It began when I started to go blind.

The laptop screen was not as bright, the cabin light seemed dim, and I figured that along with everything else I was now starting to go blind.
Then the microwave failed: it would take cook times but then revert to zero time when I pushed the cook button. The refrigerator shut off. But the computer and lights still worked.

I began trouble shooting by plugging the microwave into all the different sockets - no joy. So I figured maybe I had to replace a dead microwave. Then the space heater came on but gave no heat, Great, I have to replace that, too.

I decided to turn off all the power switches and abandon the boat and go to dinner and spend time reading at Barnes & Noble to escape my troubles. Returning to sleep in a cold, leaking boat cabin was not a cheery thought.

When I got back it was clear from lack of lights that several docks, including mine were without power. More fun for me!

Screw it. Flashlight-aided, I settled in to sleep.

About 0600 I wakened to notice light from outside. A peek outside suggested power was restored.

I turned on all the power switches. The cabin light was bright again. The heater worked! The refrigerator came on! The microwave began cooking last night's dinner! And the laptop screen was no longer dim!

So, I was not going blind after all. I guess the power failed gradually and a localized brownout was happening that later became a blackout.

I like being warm and eating hot food!

Edit: Deploying one of the many camp stoves was an option but a hassle.

Edited by dweste (10/14/09 12:36 PM)

#185260 - 10/14/09 12:35 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Using electronics with not enough volts can cause problems; shutting down was a good move. Your laptop switched to battery and the display dimmed for power conservation.

#185263 - 10/14/09 01:25 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: Russ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I might suggest some of the following products:

Surge Guard
Surge Guard w/ Voltage Regulation

RIP OBG

#185272 - 10/14/09 03:27 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: Desperado]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have a UPS with surge and line filtering / voltage regulation on the laptop power line.

#185279 - 10/14/09 04:05 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

A wild night and morning as the sailboat shivered, bucked, and whined through the high winds and rain. Cabin leaks, especially though the forward hatch, as known. When the weather dries, I will reluctantly duct tape down a plastic garbage bag cover over the forward hatch for the rest of the winter. I may try a little silicon caulking here and there, as well.

At one point it sounded from inside like the boat was bumping with the dock and, after trying unsuccessfully to convice myself it was my imagination, I suited up and went out to check. Sure enough the stern boat bumper had collapsed and sunk below the dock-boat-meeting line. Waiting for a lull in the wind, I was able to push the boat just enough forward and away from the
dock to re-tie the bumper rope to raise the collapsed bumper so it could still do its job.

I think the boat is down at the stern a little and I need to pump the bilge. Somehow the idea of going out into the driving rain, digging out and using the manual lever is not too appealing!

Good news: free boat and car washes!

#185291 - 10/14/09 05:27 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
oh the joys of boat living. I did that for a several months. It has several positives and as your writing, some harsh negs.

#185294 - 10/14/09 05:50 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: comms]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Sounds like you had an exciting storm night/day too!
Any pics or video? I was hoping but didnt have time.

Tripp Lite voltage regulator $85 I believe on amazon for the 650w model. We put them on expensive appliances like the oven and hot water heater (gas but w/pilot and TONS of electronics), computers, TV, and I have one "floating" to use on generator separate. Coupled with a UPS it's great protection for computer.

#185295 - 10/14/09 06:07 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

No pics, but an anecdote.

At what may have been the height of the storm I went out to check something and put down a padlock on the cabin roof for a moment, and watched it blow off into the water!

#185300 - 10/14/09 06:17 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

For some reason the refrigerator stopped running for a few hours. I kept waiting to hear it go on but nothing. I unplugged it and re-plugged it, waited five minutes - nothing. I unplugged it and plugged it into the adjacent plug - it came on in a minute. Go figure.

#185301 - 10/14/09 06:19 PM Re: It began when I started to go blind. [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Major realization: no good place in the sailboat cabin to hang or dry a soggy rain suit or hat. Hmmmmm?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.