Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#184767 - 10/10/09 12:52 AM Trucks
BillC Offline
Stranger

Loc: PA
Does anyone here know what order the brake lines are going in and out of the abs unit on a 2000 silverado? There are three on the top and two on the bottom. I am only sure of the top right one,it goes to the rear brakes. I need to know about the two that come from the master cylinder and the two that go to the front brakes. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

#184772 - 10/10/09 01:19 AM Re: Trucks [Re: BillC]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Brakes in this day and age are best left to the pros. Says the man who used to do all his own repair work, and grew up with parents who owned auto parts stores.

I got something wring one time. THe parking brake became the emergency brake.

RIP OBG

#184774 - 10/10/09 01:24 AM Re: Trucks [Re: Desperado]
BillC Offline
Stranger

I think I can do it my self for hundreds less including acquiring some of the tools I don't alreadt have. The lines are rusted together coming over the frame so it's hard to tell one from another.

#184783 - 10/10/09 02:12 AM Re: Trucks [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am not familiar enough to be able to label the brake lines for you. You will have to get an expert mechanic, get a manual and/or trace them yourself.

If they are as rusted as you say they are you probably should be replacing them anyhow. Remember that the ABS unit needs to be bled when you bleed the lines and the brake warning light switch/sensor on the master cylinder needs to be reset.

#184797 - 10/10/09 03:14 AM Re: Trucks [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Back in the late 60s just about any reasonably competent mechanic could grab tools and wing it on repairs. Emission controls were a little tricky but common sense and taking it one step at a time would get it done. Vehicles have gotten a lot more complicated. So much so that to work on one you really need a shop manual of some sort.

Time to buy the Haynes or Chilton manual for the make and model you own. Typically about $17 and well worth the cost for just the sort of predicament your facing. They are very handy and full of useful, vital, information. IMHO they should come with every vehicle. When I get a new, mostly used, vehicle I buy the Haynes manual as a matter of course.

If your interested in complete DIY overhauls and doing everything yourself it can be worth checking into buying the manufacturer's shop manual. Often several hundred dollars they usually go into most every possible procedure in great detail.

Whereas the Haynes manual is more about trotting down to the parts store to buy a new or rebuilt part the shop manual might show you how to rig a jig to re-manufacture the part yourself. The sort of thing that might be required in a third world country or remote area.

#184806 - 10/10/09 11:03 AM Re: Trucks [Re: Art_in_FL]
BillC Offline
Stranger

I was at a parts store last night and the haynes manual doesn't give the info needed. I remember when some one working there would have known. I didn't think it was secret info. LOL

#184809 - 10/10/09 11:34 AM Re: Trucks [Re: BillC]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Most auto dealers and private garages don't use paper manuals any more. They use online manuals.
In Canada most of our libraries provide access to online service manuals as a card privilege. A lot of them do not advertise the fact well.
Part of the reason is most of them are subscription or pay per use services.

#184813 - 10/10/09 01:02 PM Re: Trucks [Re: scafool]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've not tried it but maybe something like alldatadiy could work here, buy the one year subscription and grab everything you need.
scafool was the only one who posted some accurate info here, the ABS module does have a bleed procedure that needs to be activated via a scan tool. I have seen some projects where people used an old ABS unit and swap the solonoid pack and activate them with their own pushbuttons to open and close the valves to bleed, basically made their own manual bleed tool.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 469 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.