Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#182186 - 09/14/09 07:22 PM Using a backpack as a fishing tackle box
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I've been fishing for as long as I can remember. In the last years, my typical fishing trips have been pretty similar. We travel to the area with pickup trucks with an ATV in tow and a 12" aluminium jon boat on a rack on the ATV. During the day, we travel to the lake we intend to fish using the ATV/jon boat. A small cooler for food gets strapped to the ATV, so does the motor, rods, floatation vests, etc.

We typically carry lots of gear and i've recently thought of a more practical way to carry stuff. What I now have in mind : a backpack! Sounds to me like this would better than strapping small items all around the ATV! smile

I could strap my rod/reel and my foam seat to the sides using the pack's compression straps... stuff my waterproof jacket in the bottom of the pack, throw food, beverages, various Plano tackle boxes, first-aid kit in there... Then I would just wear the backpack while riding on the ATV. Put the jon boat in the water, drop the backpack in the boat, get the motor running... Once in the water, it's just a matter of pulling the Plano boxes out of the backpack to change lures.

Would this sound practical? How come we don't see fishing backpacks? (i'm not talking about Plano boxes with two flimsy strap, i'm talking real backpacks with volume for more gear)

I might sound like i'm overthinking this out but, that's just how I am. Thanks for your opinions!

#182192 - 09/14/09 08:19 PM Re: Using a backpack as a fishing tackle box [Re: SARbound]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Backpacks + the plano plastic boxes w/dividers is what we use for hiking.

#182193 - 09/14/09 08:20 PM Re: Using a backpack as a fishing tackle box [Re: SARbound]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Cabela's and Bass Pro have fishing backpacks, but they really are not suited to hiking very far.

I split my gear. Fishing stuff in a plano box - oriented bag with shoulder strap, personal and clothing stuff in a dry bag with shoulder strap. I find I can stash the dry bag out of the way but keep the fishing stuff handy.

#182197 - 09/14/09 08:35 PM Re: Using a backpack as a fishing tackle box [Re: dweste]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
You're talking heavyweight fishing.

My setup is a 4 pc flyrod. Reel & line. Nippers, floatant, tippet, plastic forceps and a 3"x5" box of flies.

Mountain flyfishing. Something to do before and after dinner on a backpack trip.

#182198 - 09/14/09 08:41 PM Re: Using a backpack as a fishing tackle box [Re: unimogbert]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Then I would just put together a lightweight vest to wear while fishing.

#182210 - 09/14/09 10:42 PM Re: Using a backpack as a fishing tackle box [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The flat Plano boxes are great. Carry the reels in padding like socks with you spare jacket or vest wrapped around them.
Rods are a problem. You really need tubes for them or you will be smashing the guides and rod tips off of them all the time.

You might be better making a case to hold the rods on the ATV rack and getting another small trunk for the tackle.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 296 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.