Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181555 - 09/06/09 10:00 PM Bearbag high enough?
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Found this on the internet and initially thought it was funny, then I though "hey, that could be my food bag!!!!".

Then I thought, "samhain, you goof. When was the last time you saw a bear in the wild?"...

Bear on a Rope...

#181558 - 09/06/09 10:12 PM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: samhain]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
What are the anchors on that line? What's the test of the line?

Looks staged.

#181560 - 09/06/09 10:16 PM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: yelp]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
The way I see it, the bear goes through tha much trouble...well, he can have whatever he is after...

#181566 - 09/06/09 11:45 PM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: oldsoldier]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
He was only after bird feed there. Imagine how persistent he might be for meat. People forget that bears are just walking garbage cans...

"Irving! IRVING! Leave that stupid bird feeder alone! You look like an idiot up there, what will the neighbors think? Come on, I've got a noseful of raw steaks in a cooler at a campsite over the rise. IRVING, DID YOU HEAR ME?!"

#181582 - 09/07/09 03:22 AM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: samhain]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Samhain--you got it!!.the last bear i saw in the wild was running up a hill.he even left the fish he was working on when i paddled by..i think most people get there bear/wild animal information off the covers of old Outdoor Life magazines.
having said that i still hang high..it's many-many days back to the landing.

your in more danger slipping on a root or tripping a rock and busting something than any rampaging bears.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/07/09 03:25 AM)

#181584 - 09/07/09 04:07 AM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
A good site with material on bear behavior,
http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=100001

There are just a couple of cautions about it.
Bear, and any other large animals, even including deer, are capable of doing a lot of damage and you can never really be sure how they will react in any situation or at any time.

Remember that and give them the respect which they deserve. Respecting them means having a healthy sense of caution, it does not mean unreasonable fear or abject terror.

Respecting them also means taking steps to keep the bears out of trouble. Things like not baiting them into your camping spots by leaving your leftover food laying around.

I see bears around fairly often, but in the woods they are usually moving away and you are more likely to step in a steaming pile of bear crap on the trail than to even see a bear's big butt going over the hill.
It is the ones that have gotten used to people and come into towns or camps looking for food that worry me the most.

Since the spring bear hunts were stopped in northern Ontario there have been many more bears in contact with humans. They have become quite bold about entering towns to raid the garbage bins.

PS. Bear on a rope looks like a cub of the year and the worry is more about where Momma is.

#181592 - 09/07/09 07:37 AM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: scafool]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Bears are highly intelligent and they learn pretty quick that campsites are pretty interesting places to look for food. I've read stories where they've learnt that at the other end of any rope is dangling a bag of goodies, break that rope and the goodies fall down... Enter bear canisters. Last story I've heard, a small, elderly bear in Yellowstone specalized in opening those. Hopefully she's not passing that skill to other bears.

For the best interests of both people and bears people should make their campsites as uninteresting as possible, but given humans capacity to learn from other peoples mistakes I am not exactly optimistic... It takes only a few idiots to educate bears into campsites = fun & food, and it's really hard to undo that learning.

#181607 - 09/07/09 02:53 PM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

something to think about survival wise is that you will most likely not be trying to survive in a well used camp ground or near a trash dump but in some sort of "outback" where the animals are not used to people and will run or stay away from your shelter. my buddys at bwca.com are pitching tents in places where a fishing party may have been camped for several days,leaving fish bits and grease around the fire place.which is why i "go deep" into back country lakes..but if your in a real survival deal your problem is not people around attracting bears but no people around to save you.

#181610 - 09/07/09 03:31 PM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: samhain]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
here in california, in many areas, hanging food is not an acceptable manner of food storage - persistent bears will get their food.

some of the hard canisters (1) stored well away from the campsite, and (2) your food preparation area kept well away from your sleeping area have been found to be best.

the bears learn fast.

#181611 - 09/07/09 03:40 PM Re: Bearbag high enough? [Re: bsmith]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
CANOEDOGS- I would go higher, or that picture may be misleading.

OP- Cool picture and I've heard of that happening. Sometimes we hang, and sometimes we put stuff under our vehicles depending if we are jeep camping or not. Obviously they acn get into stuff under the jeep, just makes it a bit harder and easier to yell at them to run before they get nito it wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.