The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#180435 - 08/26/09 12:54 AM Obstacle increases evacuation rate
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Source. There's a summary in Russian.

Basically, the Japanese were experimenting with getting people out of a building as fast as possible. They discovered that putting a column to the side of an exit - not in front of it - funnels the crowd out the doors faster. Otherwise, people approaching the exit all attempt to occupy the same spot in time-space and end up getting stuck... in true sheep fashion. :P

Edit: Wait, I was going for Natural Disasters.

Edited by Rodion (08/26/09 01:13 AM)

www.kravmagafederation.com

#180551 - 08/27/09 12:16 AM Re: Obstacle increases evacuation rate [Re: Rodion]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
OK. It took a lot of reading and my maths are not great.
I found the sections VII and VIII where they did verify that it was a real effect.
I am still not sure about the values they used for friction and turning effort on pedestrians.

I don't read Russian so I assume the summary is "Put some kind of obstacle somewhere on one side of an exit if you need to move a lot of people through it."

So what kind of effect would placing the exit near a corner of the room or close to a wall have?

I have copied and I will read again.
I am not sure if I can use it but it is interesting.

Edited by scafool (08/27/09 12:16 AM)

#180557 - 08/27/09 12:32 AM Re: Obstacle increases evacuation rate [Re: scafool]
NobodySpecial Offline

I went to a lecture about this nearly 20years ago, my university's computer science dept worked on this stuff after a fire at a tube station in London in 1988.

It's surprisingly counter-intuitive how people move. For instance when they come out of a narrow corridor into a large space they stop - it's safer to put exits at the end of corridors. You also don't want to put them in the corners.
The original tests involved ants and plastic mazes

The most important conclusion was that people move with the air flow = toward clear air. This is what caused the most casualties in the tube fire, people went up the stairs - but because of a chimney effect so did the fire.

Edited by NobodySpecial (08/27/09 12:35 AM)

#180564 - 08/27/09 02:07 AM Re: Obstacle increases evacuation rate [Re: NobodySpecial]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
There's a book called "Simplexity" also a theory by that same name, that states things that are seemingly simple are made very complex, ie. the cell phone and the 65 page user's manual...and complex things are somewhat simple, as in crowd control. There are columns and obstacles at exits, by elevators, and such locations for a number of reasons. One of which is that the few seconds it may take the crowd to move around the obstalce also helps move the crowd which has already moved past the obstacle. The crowd behind is slowed by the obstacle, thereby reducing the chances of too many people occupying too little room. Very fascinating read.

#180772 - 08/29/09 03:17 PM Re: Obstacle increases evacuation rate [Re: barbakane]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

I read it again.

They need bigger exits and they need something resembling a travel corridor to conduct people away from the exit after they get through it.

They have only considered what happens inside the exit and have no accounting for the back pressure caused by people hesitating or running into obstacles as they leave the exit.

Edited by scafool (08/29/09 03:22 PM)

#181327 - 09/04/09 12:26 AM Re: Obstacle increases evacuation rate [Re: scafool]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Just found these pdf files from UK government research. Someone may find them interesting

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/epcollege/news/understanding_crowd_behaviours.aspx

#181409 - 09/04/09 07:31 PM Re: Obstacle increases evacuation rate [Re: PureSurvival]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thank you PureSurvival.
It looks quite interesting to me.
I was just skimming it and found more than a few paragraphs that are definitely worth a close read.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.