The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179662 - 08/18/09 04:06 PM Interesting result of having a GHB
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I've put together a Get Home Bag, with what I think would let me get home from the areas I normally go, even if I had to walk. It's been riding in my trunk since Saturday.

And I've discovered an interesting thing; Confidence.

Not "Awright, I'm ready for anything!" type confidence.

More like "Okay, even if something bad enough to close the roads happens, I won't be completely helpless."

It's not something I worried about in the past, or even gave much thought to, but knowing that I have a plan, and the means to attempt to execute it, is a really good feeling.

(Just wanted to share that with some people who'd understand. smile )

#179663 - 08/18/09 04:35 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Compugeek]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
It's not something I worried about in the past, or even gave much thought to, but knowing that I have a plan, and the means to attempt to execute it, is a really good feeling.

In my opinion, that's the best part about being prepared whether it be it physical fitness, skills/training, gear, and/or a plan. smile

#179666 - 08/18/09 04:58 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Compugeek]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Good job!

Of course, the inverse of this feeling will now occur when you are riding with someone who doesn't have any gear. eek

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#179684 - 08/18/09 07:10 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Blast]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Heheh. That's an interesting thought.

What do you do in such a situation? Do you have a "bare essentials" bag you grab and take with you?

Or do you just ALWAYS do the driving?

#179686 - 08/18/09 07:33 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Blast

Of course, the inverse of this feeling will now occur when you are riding with someone who doesn't have any gear. eek

-Blast

Great point Blast! This is very true! It's one of the reasons I hate car pooling. I feel a little uncomfortable when I move my just-in-case bag in and out of the trunk, and I always bring it anyway. whether I'm the passenger or the driver. I just think about how much worse i'd feel if I needed it and didn't have it. It's small and unobtrusive and it gives me piece of mind. Everyone has the choice to be prepared or not, and those that aren't may feel differently somewhere done the road.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#179687 - 08/18/09 07:45 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Compugeek]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
What do you do in such a situation? Do you have a "bare essentials" bag you grab and take with you?

Yep, I have a man-purse for business trips and the such. Water, snacks, maps, LM Wave, flashlight, small 1st aid kit, 12' of paracord, lighter, zipties, ducttape, pens, notepad, toothbrush/toothpaste, travel-sized pack of wipes, and a small radio.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#179698 - 08/18/09 11:19 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Blast]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Ha! Turns out I've already covered that situation, then!

I've carried some kind of bag since High School. Even before I got the preparedness bug I EDCed a couple of pens, notepad, lighter*, cell phone, Leatherman Juice, and a flashlight (along with the usual wallet, keys, etc.).

I had already added some bare essential PSK items, but when my AMK PSK arrived, I found there was room in the bag in a previously unused pocket to simply EDC the whole thing! I also stuck in a "micro-FAK" (just bandaids and antiseptic wipes), so with my normal EDC bag and a water bottle, I've already got the "away from my car" situation adequately covered for my own comfort.

*Nope, I don't smoke, but I'm sure I don't have to explain here why I carry one. smile

(Edited to add: the full PSK is major overkill for anything I expect to encounter day-to-day in the city, but since it fit into my bag so neatly, I figured it was better to have it and not need it than the reverse.)

Edited by Compugeek (08/19/09 02:17 AM)

#179702 - 08/18/09 11:36 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Blast]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Hello again Compugeek.
Sorry about this wall of text
I have had a bail out/get home bag for years. It is not large, only a bit bigger than your average bookbag.
It has gone through a few reincarnations.

At one time it was a bookbag type pack with a lot of internal compartments and organizers.
At one time it was a small gym bag.
They have always been frameless or internal framed bags so that they can fit into almost any space.
Currently it is one that is a small top opening back pack with a zippered compartment in the top flap.

It is seldom stuffed right full, and it has a spindrift collar that lets it expand enough to use for carrying a jacket in the summer or to grab some groceries on the way home if I must.
I have had people make fun of it once or twice, but in one case the same person making fun on one day was thanking me for having a few things with me a three days later.
Anybody who knows me just accepts that I carry a small backpack everywhere unless I have a big backpack with me.

Everywhere means in my car, in other peoples cars, on buses and into offices.
I have had security personnel ask to look in it a few times, but there are very few places that ever refused to allow me to carry it in,
The only exceptions being some of the overstuffed and understaffed big box stores. I will not name them, but you know who they are. It seems they are very very very worried about shop lifters so they demand that I leave my bag at an unsecured area near their front desk.

There is not a lot of gear in it or very expensive gear, but it has been refined over quite a few years to the point where it is just enough for a get home or for a one night away bag.

#179708 - 08/19/09 12:15 AM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That is why you have you GHB, AND your EDC. Like my wee, descreet, minimalist, light weight Bag of Tricks.

This is setup is over a year old, and it has been refined a bit. :P But the concepts are the same.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#179859 - 08/20/09 06:28 PM Re: Interesting result of having a GHB [Re: Compugeek]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
Not "Awright, I'm ready for anything!" type confidence.
It can be a thin line, though. There can be a tendency to accept more risk, or more danger, because of being prepared.

The mental state can certainly be an asset too. I talked about it a bit in this brainlock post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.