I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State

#178705 - 08/05/09 06:10 PM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
After watching my wife's cat climb a wall by clawing INTO the grout I decided even kevlar isn't enough protection from a wet, angry cat!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#178737 - 08/05/09 11:35 PM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know the feeling, our cat bit the vet and drew blood the last time. He hate our kids and hisses and bats at the all the time, if he ever bites one of them...

#178742 - 08/06/09 12:03 AM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: Eugene]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Cats+Vet or Cats+Water = Warner Brothers Tasmanian Devil

I have no use for that kind of "interaction".

#178747 - 08/06/09 12:41 AM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: MoBOB]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

LOL!

A cat chased my dog up the street today.

Devil spawn.

:-)

#178759 - 08/06/09 03:29 AM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: Dagny]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Flashing back to an image from way back in my past. 8 pound siamese cat (female, declawed) chasing two german shepards (70 pounds each) out of the yard. Cat looked like she was at least 3 feet across (in every axis) and was making the most horrible screeching sound at ear splitting volume while spinning like a top. The dogs took off like they had been shot at.

Against that kevlar might be ok for a minute or so but the lexan goggles wouldn't hold up for more than 30 seconds.

Cats are never, ever to be under estimated. Especially by Blast!

- Eric

#178767 - 08/06/09 08:02 AM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: Eric]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Eric
Flashing back to an image from way back in my past. 8 pound siamese cat (female, declawed) chasing two german shepards (70 pounds each) out of the yard. Cat looked like she was at least 3 feet across (in every axis) and was making the most horrible screeching sound at ear splitting volume while spinning like a top. The dogs took off like they had been shot at.

Against that kevlar might be ok for a minute or so but the lexan goggles wouldn't hold up for more than 30 seconds.

Cats are never, ever to be under estimated. Especially by Blast!

- Eric

Best was to deal with cats?

Use the Dark Side......

#178874 - 08/08/09 05:02 AM Re: Blast taking the "kitten" to the Vet [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've done a few cat rescues and my uniform is a pair of heavy leather welder's gloves that come almost to my elbows and a clear plastic full-face shield. A thick beach towel to throw over and wrap the the cat in and a Leatherman to cut any string, wires or fishing line they are tangled in.

Key to avoid damage to either party is to control them quickly by wrapping them in the towel or, failing that, getting the scruff of their neck and forcing their belly to the ground, If you keep a hand firmly gripping their neck to control the head, their front facing away from you, and their belly on the ground they can't bite or scratch. Sounds brutal but the pose they adopt is quite close to the natural position they lay down in.

Most cats seem to resign themselves to the situation if you maintain firm control and don't give them an inch for even a second. You have to maintain an inner peace with being the heavy and completely dominating in this situation. Most people seem to make the mistake of feeling sorry for the cat and loosening their grip. At which time the cat breaks free, spins round, and proceeds to do several thousand dollars worth of unlicensed cosmetic surgery on your face. That full-face shield has saved me at least once. Plastic is your friend.

Sometimes it helps to get a leg on either side and pretty much sit on them. This can allow you to have one hand free to get the towel wrapped around them tightly. But you have to maintain control because in that position your marriage tackle can end up in extreme danger if things go sideways.

Always wrap the beast tightly and completely before trying to cut away and strings or wires. A tightly wrapped and completely pissed off cat wrapped like a papoose also makes a nice gift for someone you don't like very much.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 359 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.