The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176623 - 07/16/09 06:27 PM Security at the Smithsoian
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
We had an interesting experience last week. My older daughter was visiting and along with my wife and middle daughter decided to head into DC and visit the Smithsonian for the day. I knew that “sharps’ might be a no-no, so I looked up the security restrictions and sure enough no “sharps” not even SAKs permitted.

The only thing I brought was my key chain flashlight (felt somewhat naked without a pocketknife and multitool) and ziplock of coins. As we approached the metal detectors, I started to take everything out of my pockets to head through and the guard told me it was not necessary, just go through the detector (most likely I could have brought my SAK, although not worth the risk). Neither the flashlight nor the ziplock bag of coins activated the detector. My wife did not bring a bag/purse, while both of my daughters had to have their bags searched. The guard questioned the Res-Q-Me’s on their key chains, they said “they were for seatbelts” and he let them pass. My middle daughter had pepper spray on her key chain, which was confiscated (it was old and needed to be replaced anyway). He joked that the whole family was “packing”.

Pete

#176625 - 07/16/09 06:34 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: paramedicpete]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Do the regulations forbid pepper spray?

#176633 - 07/16/09 07:07 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: Grouch]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Went to a concert and they searched the woman's bags but didn't even scan the men (I think they did this before though). I of coarse already removed my blade thinking back to when they scanned.

Security getting relaxed again... hmm

#176659 - 07/16/09 11:06 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: Todd W]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The Smithsonian has always been pretty slack. If the metal detectors were sensitive, tourists would be lined up to Florida.

#176662 - 07/16/09 11:53 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: Todd W]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Was over at the Kennedy Space Center for a shuttle launch a few months ago. Was warned that the visitors center had TSA style security so i had removed all of the stuff from my pockets that i normally tote. But i had my camera and camera bag with me, put the bag in the bin and walked through the metal detector. No beeps, grabbed my camera bag and went to the security check point person who proceeded to undo every zipper on the camera bag. Didn't look at anything, just undid all of the zippers. Then she says that i don't have to take the camera out of the bag, just turn it on which i did. She did look at the display but that was the extent of the security check. Should mention that i don't have a little shirt pocket size camera, i have a full size DSLR with a telephoto lens attached. Here is a picture,

http://ericalyn.smugmug.com/gallery/7337293_7g6yq/1/459402560_J5cJa

No i don't know her, it is just a picture of someone pretty with a really nice piece of glass. But that is the size of my camera. Was there with my little brother and he said the same thing, his security person said turn it on but you don't need to take the camera out of the bag. So i would say that security was slack.

#176665 - 07/17/09 12:36 AM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: RayW]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Rather than slack, maybe just realistic?

Every one of us knows that there are no dangerous tools, just dangerous people with tools.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176674 - 07/17/09 02:48 AM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: ironraven]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
This is the *Smithsonian* and KSC *visitor's center* being discussed. These aren't national security assets: they're considerably less important than the typical community water tower.

(the KSC *launch facilities* are another matter for the next year or so, but that's an entirely different matter from the visitor's center)

#176687 - 07/17/09 12:51 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The Smithsonian is probably, legitimately, more concerned with people taking things out of the museums.

Every facility can't be Fort Knox or have the security of the White House, and shouldn't.

It typical wasteful fashion, every federal building in DC has spent a fortune on bollards and other security measures, as if the Department of Health and Human Services is as likely a target as the Department of Justice, DHS or State.

There's a relatively small federal building near me that houses administrative support functions for an extremely obscure entity unrelated to national security (nor a hate target like the IRS) and of no conceivable interest to anyone who doesn't work there. They are in the process of a multi-million dollar perimeter security project that has all of us in the neighborhood rolling our eyes -- because it will primarily have the effect of protecting the front lawn (which for years has been an inordinate preoccupation with the building management) and an additional few feet on one side of the building.

If they ever were attacked, it'd be because the terrorists put the wrong address in their GPS.

We're certainly not inclined to be dismissive of security needs but a lot of us think it's gotten ridiculous around here. Tons of taxpayer dollars, lots of inconvenience, and not feeling much safer.

The feds should disperse far more of their personnel and infrastructure around the country. Foolish in this era of security threats and communications ability, to have the federal government concentrated so much in one place.

Not a little thread drift there.... ;-)

#176688 - 07/17/09 01:49 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When visiting the El Capitolio in La Habana in Cuba, I was told just to say 'Harry sent me' to the security guards at the entrance at the top of the stairs and got in with no problem at all. whistle

#176723 - 07/17/09 07:17 PM Re: Security at the Smithsoian [Re: paramedicpete]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
I was in DC a few months ago and visited a whole bunch of places that had metal detectors, etc. I use a wheelchair and was expecting to be wanded and patted down - typical way TSA deals with a wheelchair. I had a SAK carefully tucked away in such a way that it would not be detected by a metal scanner but that was the only "illicit" thing I had on me. I was wanded once - in the Reagan office building (for lunch). Other than that I could have brought in anything - and I mean anything. Makes me nervous to be in a secure area with somebody in a wheelchair - well, not really but you get the idea. My wife walked through metal detectors and her bag was searched at every stop - nothing to hide and always got a smile and a wave through.

I guess this is one of the advantages of a chair. No one thinks of you as a threat so you get to roll on by. I've used this on more than one occasion. As long as I've got my innocent look on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.