Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174149 - 06/02/09 01:27 AM Is your stuff really secure?
LED Offline
Veteran

Just saw this article on Wired.com about lockpicker Marc Tobias. Pretty fascinating read. Looks like this guy can literally pick any lock. A good reminder that if someone else wants your stuff, the best you can hope for is to slow them down. Reminds me of that saying, "you don't have to outrun a bear, just run faster than the other guy."

Quote:

As it turned out, only Tobias and Bluzmanis showed up. They had a cheap rolling suitcase bungied with a small vise, a tackle box full of picks and tryout keys, and everything to lose.

One by one, brand-new Medeco locks were unsealed. And, as the camera rolled, one by one these locks were picked open. None of the Medeco3 locks lasted the minimum 10 to 15 minutes necessary to qualify for the "high security" rating. One was cracked in just seven seconds. By Roberson's standards, Tobias and Bluzmanis had done the impossible.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-06/ff_keymaster?currentPage=1

#174150 - 06/02/09 01:34 AM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: LED]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Bumping locks is pretty darn quick!! I've done it at my old house testing out the locks and you can do it quietly and easily if you have the key setup for it.

Most people have a HUGE sense of false security.
In the real world a broken window is all it takes and they are in.

#174162 - 06/02/09 04:04 AM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: Todd W]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Marc Weber Tobias just put out a book on flaws in the Medeco biaxial and slider (m3) design, which has garnered quite a bit of attention lately. In fact, the Medeco3 design is relatively new and was touted to be reasonably high security. With some study, Tobias discovered a flaw in the design that makes it surprisingly easy to defeat. He found something that Medeco and the Underwriters Labs missed. That's what makes him, him; and he's very good at what he does.

See, there are a few things to keep in mind with this. First, Marc Weber Tobias is considered the foremost expert on locks and lockpicking, as well as security in general. Basically, he's one of the best out there, if not "THE" best.

Second, reports are, that Medeco is finally working with him to create better designed locks without the flaw exhibited here. It will only be a matter of time before they fix the problem. Security is ever evolving, it has to be.

Third, just because a lock is high security doesn't mean it can't be defeated. All can be defeated through means that use a bit of finesse and study or enough brute force. It just comes down to the amount of time it takes to do so. There is still the aspect of key control and resistance to brute force attacks (when properly installed) that make some high security locks [like the M3] better security than some other options. It just depends on how the lock is being attacked.

Finally, the Medeco3 lock, even with its flaw, is still more secure than the low-end Schlage, Kwickset, and Masterlocks the majority of America uses to secure their homes, buildings, ect. That's the part that scares most people. wink

The thing to learn from this is that the best way to keep things secure is to do your research and use layered security. If someone wants to get into something bad enough, they'll probably find a way to do it. Therefore, the best you can hope for is deterring them, slowing them down, and/or finding a way to catch them in the act.

On a side note, if you want to learn more about locks and security check out this forum: http://www.lockpicking101.com/ Alternately, if you find yourself in Las Vegas this summer check out DEFCON 17 (which is a convention revolving around hacking and security). It's expensive to get in (a bit over $100 per person, IIRC), but it's an eye opening experience.

Locks and security is like a hobby of mine. The locksmith my father used to use for his rental properties would have to shoo me away because I would hover right over his shoulder watching everything he did. Finally, at around age 8 I was taught how to pick a basic masterlock padlock, and I was hooked. They're like little mechanical puzzles. grin

#174165 - 06/02/09 05:02 AM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: Paul810]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Finally, the Medeco3 lock, even with its flaw, is still more secure than the low-end Schlage, Kwickset, and Masterlocks the majority of America uses to secure their homes, buildings, ect. That's the part that scares most people. wink

It scares most people... it shouldn't.

Most door frames are weaker and if they are not the door itself is... hollow, made of fiberglass, etc. A lot of doors now days if you try to kick you put your foot through, not everyone has $800+ solid doors.

Not to mention there are MUCH easier ways to get in a house than "picking a lock"... statistically most homes are not broken in to via someone picking an "insecure" lock.

People need to realize that leaving the darn thing unlocked is what gets MOST people "broken" into.

#174185 - 06/02/09 02:40 PM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Modern construction standards aren't much better than a Japanese paper house for security. Forget doors and windows, you can go through a wall on most stick built homes inside of 30 seconds.

Moderrn residential type security is really an illusion. for most concerned people, all you are going to be able accomplish is to simply make your home more difficult than your neighbors, thereby making it less desirable as a target. It also pays to advertise, meaning I want burglars to see my security, and likewise I don't show off the goodies I am trying to protect inside.

#174201 - 06/02/09 07:07 PM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: Todd W]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Todd W

It scares most people... it shouldn't.

Most door frames are weaker and if they are not the door itself is... hollow, made of fiberglass, etc. A lot of doors now days if you try to kick you put your foot through, not everyone has $800+ solid doors.

It's always fun when you see commercial buildings or other places that are doing things right (i.e. steel door frame secured into iron and concrete structure, fire-rated steel doors, window bars, fire rated glass, ect) then to see that the lock and deadbolt they are using is some piece of garbage they bought at home depot, and, worse yet, probably installed incorrectly.

I see this all the time. When the old owner or tenant moves out or a lock breaks, instead of doing the right thing and having the locksmith come to rekey the place, they just go out and buy cheap hardware. Then they're dumbfounded when a 14 year old kid with a screwdriver gets in and wrecks the place.

That's why all our buildings are alarmed and CCTV equipped. Most tenants are terrible with security, so you kind of have to help them along a bit. Still, it amazes me how even when you take the time to teach them how to use the alarm and change the code, they still never do it. When they move out the code is still the default 00000 or whatever.

With that said, bumping has become increasingly common lately, as it requires very little skill, tools to do it aren't hard to get at all, and it leaves little trace. The scary part about this is a lot of people who are a victim of this don't even realize it. They just believe they must have accidentally left the door unlocked. This can lead to further problems, say with insurance, as they usually aren't happy with stolen goods due to unlocked doors. Nowadays, at a minimum, I would want bump resistant hardware. Regardless of what the actually level of security is. Think about it, why make the noise and mess of breaking a window to get in, when you can get in and out in seconds without drawing any attention to yourself and without any easily noticeable evidence you've been there? That's what bumping offers thieves, and it's the reason why it's heavily on the rise.

#174204 - 06/02/09 08:01 PM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: Paul810]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
With that said, bumping has become increasingly common lately, as it requires very little skill, tools to do it aren't hard to get at all, and it leaves little trace.

I have a home alarm system, less for its deterrent effect, and more as a means of attracting attention. If someone bumps a lock to get inside my home, especially if I'm home, I want there to be some warning and a racket to draw some attention when an outer door or window is opened unexpectedly.

Even if a neighbor is looking right at someone trying to bump my lock, it's too easy for the burglar to just angle their body to hide what you're doing and they look like they're just using a key to get in the house legitimately.

#174208 - 06/02/09 09:13 PM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: Paul810]
LED Offline
Veteran

So what do you guys think is the best deadbolt lock for the average person? Medeco? From the article I don't remember them saying it could be bumped as easily (if at all) as your average lock from home depot. I understand security is an all inclusive package but a new doorlock wouldn't hurt.

#174211 - 06/02/09 10:00 PM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: LED]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I agree that most burglars don't pick locks. They go through unlocked doors, open windows and into garages left open to kick in the kitchen door.

No one, and I mean no one, can make a totally secure lock. All you are doing is slowing the bad guy down to make it not cost/time effective to break into your house and force him to move along to someone else. I've seen great doors with crap locks, crap doors with great locks and about everything in between. 90% of doors can be opened with a small prybar or a screwdriver. By making your door just a little tougher, the guy moves on and someone else becomes a crime statistic.

One of my pet peeves was the decorative locksets sold at homeless depot (I worked, past tense, there). One lock, a dead bolt. No handle lock. No provisions for a second lock. I talked many people out of these.

To fool some burglars, get some alarm company stickers. Prominently place them in windows. Now take the fridge magnets, cut one up into pieces and put a slice in each window frame. some guys check windows and doors with a compass to see if they are alarmed - magnetic relays make the needle move. Fake em out if you don't have an alarm.

#174212 - 06/02/09 10:44 PM Re: Is your stuff really secure? [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Forget doors and windows, you can go through a wall on most stick built homes inside of 30 seconds.

I was going to say the same thing. A typical wall is, what?, a thin layer of siding over some rigid foam over some poofy insulation over some drywall. The only thing there that might offer any resistance is the siding, but you could bash that in with a rock and waltz right through the rest of the stuff. Hell, a woodpecker pecked his way inside my neighbors house with no issues!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.