Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174110 - 06/01/09 06:44 PM I Love the Web
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
So, my wife said she may want to attend a religious festival next year. I said that was fine. We do not have a tent anymore and it is a camping event. This allowed my little brain to start whirling and grinding on solutions along the lines of inexpensive, relatively. We did attend a mini-rendezvous a bzillion years ago in northern Maine. We had to opportunity to stay in a lodge (tipi). Since then I have desired to have one. They are, however, cost prohibitive to me. That is where the Web comes into play. I am thinking I could make one out of a big tarp or Tyvek. The problem being I could not find any plans for one. Then it occurred to me a tipi is a cone. I searched the aforementioned Web and BINGO!!, a cone calculator. Problem solved.

#174115 - 06/01/09 07:16 PM Re: I Love the Web [Re: MoBOB]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know about tents and religious festivals.
I watch those Hollywood bible epics and wardrobe has wiped out the surplus blanket supply for another year and it seems George Saunders is always sneaking up with his army to destroy the good guys unaware in tents eating pita bread.
Last weekend I OD'ed at 2 fundraising festivals; the local Chabbad temple, which is really a rented commercial office served Kosher and I did about $30 damage to my budget. Then I went to the ethiopian coptic church with my old friend Getazhew Zewdi. Ethiopian food is like mexican chili peppers bio engineered to be 100 times more potent. Thank God, the Lutherans had some of their infamous casserole at a rummage sale. That stuff will clot wounds, serve as emergency jack stands for changing flat tires and nuetralise the worst stomach acid.I bet it would turn colloidal silver abusers pink from blue.
Why not just rent a motel room like Bear? Gideons would be pleased- ROFLOL

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (06/01/09 07:20 PM)

#174117 - 06/01/09 07:22 PM Re: I Love the Web [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Thank God, the Lutherans had some of their infamous casserole at a rummage sale. That stuff will clot wounds, serve as emergency jack stands for changing flat tires and nuetralise the worst stomach acid.I bet it would turn colloidal silver abusers pink from blue.

Agreed... those casseroles are probably one of the best, and most overlooked, multi-taskers....

#174121 - 06/01/09 07:43 PM Re: I Love the Web [Re: MoBOB]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
http://www.tipis.org has lots of related information, including quite a few tipi templates ... if it helps.

My dad made a 'real' tipi out of canvas around the time I was born (late '50's). We slept in it a few times, but after that it lived in the rafters of the garage. I have no clue what ever happened to it.

#174152 - 06/02/09 01:55 AM Re: I Love the Web [Re: KenK]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

KenK, Thank you for the site. Amazingly, this site did not show up when I was "Googling" this morning. I am considering using the cone calculator I found today and going from there. The design will not be a true tipi. It will not have the gap and inner wall for updraft ventilation. I will use a single pole in the middle and many ground anchor points. The funny thing is that it will not end up being less expensive than a tent of comparable square footage.

#174164 - 06/02/09 04:54 AM Re: I Love the Web [Re: MoBOB]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You could also sew a far simpler 'cowboy' range teepee which is merely a 4 sided steep pyramid with either a single interior support pole or two external ones scissored.
You haven't shared which scoop of 31 flavours religion(s) this is? New Agers like pyramids because they think the shape keeps
razors sharp and food fresh. Geoditic domes are popular with new Agers and the messianic UFO folks. Teepees and mongolian yurts are de riquer for deep ecologists.
I always look for tents at Methodist church rummage sales; they are always neatly cleaned and repacked.Never a Unitarian! Those good people try to pitch a tent using every set of directions.

#174181 - 06/02/09 01:54 PM Re: I Love the Web [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

We are considering the CreationFest in Mt. Union, PA. Pretty standard ecumenical, sort of. I attended a few when they known as "Jesus 'XX"(insert year)

By using the cone calculator I can make a single-seam tipi pattern. I will probably use a 2" PVC segmented center pole. I will crown the exterior with a ring that has three anchor lines.

I love geoditic domes, but my true passion is the Monolithic Dome out of Italy, TX. Definitely not for camping, but what a house!!

Standard Disclaimer

2 cents

Edited by MoBOB (06/02/09 01:55 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.