Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#171696 - 04/20/09 01:35 PM Facing the real deal
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I am facing losing my electricity in about 30 days, depending on how much leeway they give for non-pay.

I have food in the freezer. Can you defrost food and then can it? I have never heard of doing this. I realize that food deteriorates during any processing, and this would be a double-whammy.

Any thoughts? Or should I just eat fast?

Sue

#171697 - 04/20/09 01:53 PM Re: Facing the real deal [Re: Susan]
ZechariahStover Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut
Sorry to hear you're on hard times.
We have canned frozen food. The sturdier things like meats hold up better. Things like fruit have the cell structure damaged by the freezing so they tend to come out rather mushy. Certainly they are still edible though. It's been a while since I've worked with any and I can't remember ever canning frozen vegtables.

#171705 - 04/20/09 03:02 PM Re: Facing the real deal [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I would think you could can the meats, fruits, and veggies using the normal process after they've thawed.

Good luck, you are in our prayers.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#171708 - 04/20/09 03:49 PM Re: Facing the real deal [Re: Blast]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Yes Sue, but as fast as you can from the freezer to the canner and process the canning a bit longer.
Even if you are losing a bit of quality it beats throwing it all out.
I am going through bad times financially too, so I understand what you are asking very well.

#171711 - 04/20/09 04:54 PM Re: Facing the real deal [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Okay, thanks! I hope it doesn't come to that. I don't have a lot of bills, but severely reduced hours at work is causing problems. I figure 'camping out' is better than losing the place.

Sue

#171744 - 04/20/09 11:22 PM Re: Facing the real deal [Re: Susan]
tonyb Offline
For me life is my beach
Stranger

Loc: Australia, Cairns
Sue, contact your electricity provider 'now' and make an arrangement with them to pay it off, I have done this when fallen on bad times and has been mutually beneficial.

The trick is to do it early in the piece; my wife is a master at doing this not only for late payments but for whatever she needs. I have learned from her to never give up and even if the first person she speaks to won’t help her she will then ask for their supervisor, you will be amazed at the different result. Do the same with your provider if the person you first speak to wont help you ask for their supervisor discuss your situation and negotiate an arrangement.

'Do your sums, get on the phone, and make an arrangement now Sue'

Short of all that if you do lose power get the esky out cover the bottom with a good layer of salt and then put your ice down (use block ice and the salt will make it last longer) and eat out of your esky until power resumes, if you can get your hands on some dry ice even better, use one esky for freezing(or your fridge freezer) and the other for daily use. We do this for long camp trips and it works a treat.

Preserving foods (canning) is not hard to learn but does require some outlay around $400-$500 and it's not something you learn overnight it takes some practice but in the end it is well worth the effort.

Edited by tonyb (04/21/09 01:18 AM)

#171756 - 04/21/09 01:13 AM Re: Facing the real deal [Re: tonyb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Esky, in case you were wondering.
Quote:
Esky is an Australian brand of coolers manufactured by Nylex. The name is a reference to the association of Eskimos with cold climates. The term has become a genericized trademark and as such is a colloquial term in Australia for any portable icebox or cooler.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.