Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164920 - 01/25/09 04:13 AM job interviewer play psychological game with ppl
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Why do job interviewer play psychological games on job applicants?

I went to job interviewer but the they didn't ask me about behavior questions or technical questions.

I feel like job interview is equivalent to UN negotiation at Gaza strip. It made me angry. I want to strangle the interviewer.

how do you respond to these stupid psychological games? I feel like I am in CIA interrogation session.

#164926 - 01/25/09 06:29 AM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with ppl [Re: picard120]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Sounds rough.

#164927 - 01/25/09 06:40 AM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with p [Re: picard120]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Sometimes the job candidate has already been selected, and they must interview "X" number of people to satisfy EEOC or internal policy. That might have been part of it.

What kind of position were you applying for?

RIP OBG

#164935 - 01/25/09 01:07 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with ppl [Re: picard120]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
how do you respond to these stupid psychological games?
What were the questions? What psychological games were they playing?

Quote:
I feel like I am in CIA interrogation session.
How did that feel? wink

#164948 - 01/25/09 03:33 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with ppl [Re: picard120]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I just an entire post that I wrote to reply to you, Piccard. I went down to the reply section and typed about 3 paragraphs and clicked submit. THen, as always, realized it was a response to Russ, which it isn;t, of course. So I copied it, deleted the post, and planned to click on "reply" to you, then repaste it so it would be a direct reply to you.

Meanwhile, I'm in another program and I used the copy/paste feature without thinking. When I came back here, my clipboard data was gone. This truly urinates me off to no end.

Now, I'm PO'd about the software and have no desire to respond. Jeez.....

HTML SPINNER: Why can;t the "reply box" just be a general reply? Why does it have to NAME the person it replies to? I mean, by the time you read through all the posts in a thread, you're ready to reply, NOT scroll back up, click "reply" on a certain poster (usually the OP), and then reply. It truly is a pain....

#164950 - 01/25/09 03:50 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with ppl [Re: Stretch]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I agree with Stretch. This forum feature is not the most intuitive. If you want to say just something general to everybody you can´t do that - the feature makes you to always reply to specific person. If you use Quick reply and forget that you are replying to the last user that posted something it may confuse the user and it happened here several times.

#164951 - 01/25/09 04:03 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with ppl [Re: Stretch]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Allright, Piccard, I'll try again (though with less enthusiasm):

ALL job interviews, for ANY job, are, in essence, a psychological exam. They want to see how you respond to questions (even odd-ball questions), problems, and scenarios. They want to hear how well you speak and articulate your thoughts. They want to hear your first, gut reactions, to questions in attempt to judge your character, moral clarity, deciseveness(sp?), etc.

I've been through "oral board" interviews for hiring and job promotions, and have been an oral hiring board panel member. Scenarios can be created where there isn;t really a right or wrong answer, but rather it's a test to see and hear what you do. Adaptability, judgement, adherence to law and policy, moral clarity, imagination, and a host of other criterion are trying to be elicited during these interviews. Many times, no matter how the interviewee answers a question or responds to a situation, the panel will change the scenario....build on it.... just to see what the interviewee does.

It's not an exact science.... it's just a feeling-out process. They want to see, hear, and try to understand who they're getting (or not getting).

#164953 - 01/25/09 04:08 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with ppl [Re: Stretch]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I imagine most people, myself included, feel very uncomfortable at a job interview. Still, you have to understand it's one of the things you just have to do if you want the job.

There are a billion reasons why the interviewer may have been pushy. Maybe he had a bad day and enjoyed his position of power, attempting to terrorize you. Maybe it was part of the game, testing how you react under fire.

Getting all worked up at a job interview is bad. Assuming you want that job (you probably do, otherwise there's no point in going to a job interview) you should think about it not as a challenge but rather as a simple conversation. It's all about getting to know each other. While the employer wants to learn more about you, take the opportunity to learn as much as you can about the job so as to avoid a possible disappointment in the future.

If they try to push you my advice would be to keep calm, don't show that you're upset (let alone angry, that's a big no-no). Stand your ground and if it gets intense, let them know you've got a pair. Who knows, maybe that's all they wanted to find out in the first place.

But in any case, DON'T get too worked up because of a job interview. You have absolutely NOTHING to lose. But you have a job to gain - if you play your cards right and if the luck is on your side. smile

#164956 - 01/25/09 04:12 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with p [Re: picard120]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
If the interview process turned you off, just imagine what it would be like to work for these jerks.

Remember, in an interview, you are checking them out too. It sounds like they failed your interview.

Chalk it up as a waste of time and move on. What else can you do?

Good luck with your future interviews.

#164969 - 01/25/09 06:20 PM Re: job interviewer play psychological game with p [Re: GarlyDog]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

You might be right, Garly, maybe they're jerks - but then again, maybe they're not. Piccard didn;t give any details about the kind of job, whether it was within his fiedl of experience or expertise, etc.

Most of times the interview is less about the job than it is about the attributes of the person. The interviewers, possibly, might not have cared whether you "knew how" to do the job or whther or not you had any experience in the field. Usually, with or without experience, they want to know "what kind of person" they'd be hiring. An in-depth test (read job interview) is a good first indicator.

A job interview can be this simple:
- Are you willing to work nights and weekends?
- Do you use illegal drugs?
- Are you ready to start right now?

Easy. Some jobs could be that easy. Couldn;t those questions be asked nicely or rudely and the interview would still be easy? Oh yeah.

A job with more demands dictates a more thorugh and intensive interview. If a guy can;t handle the interview, he most probably wouldn;t handle the job for long.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.