Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#164994 - 01/25/09 11:18 PM Photos from a short hike today
Sherpadog
Unregistered

We went out on a 3-1/2 hour hike today to a local lake which about 1/2 hour from home. This lake has paths all around the lake shore and also many more higher,very steep and much longer trails that rise to almost 4000' above the lake shore in a very short distance. The longer trails are very rugged and remote and can take 10 hours or more round trip in good summer weather. You need to be in excellent physical condition and well prepared to spend a night out on these trails as the weather can change dramatically. Although the lake itself gets a lot if use, due to the these trails being rugged, they do not see a lot of use in comparison.

These long trails though accessible and can be hiked in winter, it is not recommended. When were there earlier today, we stuck to the lower trails as the upper trails are extremely icy and not what I would call safe.

In the below map, the brown swath on the right side of the lake is hydro electric lines and the white line is a closed access road. We were hiking on the trails on the other side of the lake and at the south end also.

View looking north from the boat dock. There is good and plentiful trout fishing in this lake. The biggest I ever caught was 2 lb, 6 oz. In the summer, this lake is a very popular day use area and there is also a nice beach just off to the right of the photo.

The water in this lake is crystal clear all year round. The brown and green reflections in the water are from the trees on the shoreline.

I mentioned moss yesterday in another post. There is plenty of it here.

This photo is taken facing north and is at the very southern end of the lake. There is a floating foot bridge here that crosses the lake. The water here is shallow enough to slightly ice over.

Looking east across the south end of the lake. As you can see, there is not much snow on the mountains for this time of year.

Last photo taken is looking south.

#164999 - 01/26/09 12:09 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Wow! That's a lot prettier than the snow covered decidious forest I was in last week. Didn't even bring my camera, figuring it'd be just brown or white.

Looks like a great place any time of the year. When are you hosting the ETS get-together? wink

#165011 - 01/26/09 01:30 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: MDinana]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: MDinana

Looks like a great place any time of the year. When are you hosting the ETS get-together? wink

Not sure I could pull something like this off...If any it would have to take event so as not to interfere with the monthly " Lets talk about and bash Bear Grylls" posts and threads here...

#165014 - 01/26/09 01:59 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Still VERY GREEN with envy....

RIP OBG

#165016 - 01/26/09 02:36 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Wow, that looks like it was great! I barely finished my "honey do" list today, and it's 10:30pm... no hikes were on the horizon for me this weekend, I was surprised my most merciful dear sweet honey even allowed me to take an hour for church this morning. Actually, she probably just didn't want to reach into her wallet when the basket came around, so she took me along for ATM duty... That's all I'm good for, and I think my teenage son thinks the same way wink

When I first saw your post, before I scrolled the window, I only had the top part of the first picture on my screen... if you only look at the very top, with the stars in the background, it looks like you might have been hiking at Tranquility Base...

- Ron

#165017 - 01/26/09 02:57 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: Be_Prepared]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
...if you only look at the very top, with the stars in the background, it looks like you might have been hiking at Tranquility Base...

Yeah, or the Himalayas! Very beautiful. And really nice photos, too! I really dig that moss photo. Looks good enough to eat! grin

#165019 - 01/26/09 03:12 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: Desperado]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Still VERY GREEN with envy....

Don't get too green yet. We made a commitment that this year that every weekend we get at least one hike in. This weekend was even better, I got a solo hike yesterday and a family hike today. I'll keep posting photos as we visit different trails and areas.

I have some photos from last weekend that I still have not posted, I'll try and get them uploaded tomorrow.

#165020 - 01/26/09 03:15 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: Arney]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
...if you only look at the very top, with the stars in the background, it looks like you might have been hiking at Tranquility Base...

Yeah, or the Himalayas! Very beautiful. And really nice photos, too! I really dig that moss photo. Looks good enough to eat! grin

Google Earth is great!! We use it all the time to print maps of different areas that we plan to visit. With these Google maps, topo maps and a compass, there should never be an excuse for getting lost....

#165021 - 01/26/09 03:24 AM Re: Photos from a short hike today [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I live in an area that has rocky's.......

you know, the boot maker....

Edited by Desperado (01/26/09 03:25 AM)

RIP OBG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.