Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147813 - 09/07/08 08:32 PM So, I was talking with Grandma...
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I was talking with my grandma and I was telling her how my family was trying to go "green" and we were doing our part ect... Talked about how we did some canning this summer and how we were prepared should a situation occur. In general talking about some things my wife and I did this summer and her responce surprised me.

She responded after a while by saying " I dont understand why you are so excited about that. We called that life when I was growing up." She went on to tell me stuff that I guess I already new. She talked about turning off every electical appliance in the house after 9 pm, hanging out clothes and putting up food for the winter. She talked about having a cache out by the corrals for bad times (packed in bear fat/lard to prevent rust for metal items). She actually gave me a lot of good ideas - stuff that she has known and done for YEARS, that would save thousands of dollars each year.

There is something to be said for history and experience. She had a great teacher - The Great Depression! I am glad that I called her.

#147817 - 09/07/08 09:03 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: epirider]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I hear you.

My grandmother's forgotten more stuff than I could ever learn.

There was a family joke in my wife's clan. They wouldn't let her grandmother set fence posts for fear that they would take root so prolific was her green thumb.

#147821 - 09/07/08 09:35 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: samhain]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Grandma's are great. So are really old encyclopedias. They are sometimes available in used book stores, or even in reprint. Then there is the entire Foxfire series, which is basically all Grandma, all the time. Might even be worth a visit to a nursing home-the folks there would love it, and the information available always astounds me.

#147829 - 09/07/08 10:25 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: nursemike]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I am doing my Hospice rotation this week. I could only wish that some of them could or would impart thier wealth of knowledge on me.

#147890 - 09/08/08 10:40 AM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: epirider]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I was a very very late Baby (Mom was 40), so a lot of the stuff your Grandparents are passing on I learned direct from Mom and Dad. Darn it, I miss them. They were the folks who got the "be prepared" mindset drilled into my brain.
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#147932 - 09/08/08 03:26 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: NightHiker]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I seems that the genration after our grandparets took everything for granted then our generation, faced with rising costs, is being forced to re-learn what stopped being passed down.

#147977 - 09/08/08 09:20 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...our generation ... is being forced to re-learn what stopped being passed down."

They didn't stop passing it down, it was just that no one was listening.

Sue

#148058 - 09/09/08 10:35 AM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yea, I guess so. I'm amazed that we survived from the stories our parents tell us and the things they did. We at least listen to the Dr, for example is he says no meat until the baby is one year old we wait until close to one year, we didn't give them a chicken bone to tooth on like our parents did.

#148140 - 09/09/08 07:34 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: KG2V]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
I was a very very late Baby (Mom was 40), so a lot of the stuff your Grandparents are passing on I learned direct from Mom and Dad. Darn it, I miss them. They were the folks who got the "be prepared" mindset drilled into my brain.

That's me as well. Fortunately, we have a family reunion every year and I sit with my Aunts and Uncles and ask leading questions, and listen, listen, listen. I got to butcher the hog last year, and will get to do next years hog also. I'm fortunate to come from a large family, over 90 first cousins just on my Dad's side.

#148143 - 09/09/08 08:02 PM Re: So, I was talking with Grandma... [Re: sodak]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don’t know exactly when it changed (1960s??) but we use to value and interact with our grandparents. Multi generations of families use to live together (like on the Walton’s TV show) where the grandparents could teach the grandkids about life.

Sadly now we put our old folks in homes and only visit with them for a few hours a month if at all.

Edited by BobS (09/09/08 08:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.