The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#135897 - 06/13/08 03:15 PM Urban Survival Dream
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I had a dream of a cool urban survival item. A briefcase designed to function as a first aid kit. It was not an ordinary briefcase, modified or otherwise, it had compartments designed to hold first aid supplies. On the outside it looked like any executive quality, hard leather bound briefcase which would blend in perfectly in any business district. There was even some room for additional survival gear you wish to add.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135899 - 06/13/08 03:25 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
What would stop you from using a plain old briefcase and add in a first aid kit and survival supplies? I actually carry a briefcase to work everday as I actually need it for documents and such.

I carry my lunch, umbrella, some first aid supplies, water, and other things that I generally can't carry on my person in a corporate environment such as my Leatherman Wave.

I guess my question is, what added benefits would your design be? And would people want to carry a briefcase that is just full of those things and served no other practical purpose?

#135900 - 06/13/08 03:31 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Mike_H]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I like the idea of a bag that you are bugging out with as seeming to be something plain, instead of hoolding worthwhile supplies. Maybe something that looked like this https://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/Laptop-Bags/Commuter-Laptop/259
But was fitted out to work like http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/kit_...kitNO=0100-0465

#135902 - 06/13/08 03:40 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Dan_McI]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Something specific to bug out with is one thing, but for an EDC, I can't see it.

A briefcase by itself, empty, packs a hefty amount of weight. I wouldn't see that as an optimal approach. A backpack is more ideal as it provides a method for carrying it without taking up one of your hands, which would be crucial.

Briefcases also imply something of value in them by their very nature. Backpacks, not so much.

IMHO

#135903 - 06/13/08 03:47 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
What would stop you from using a plain old briefcase and add in a first aid kit and survival supplies?

Compartments in a first aid kit keep first aid supplies organized and in place. Rather than having everything thrown together, which is a wasteful use of space, specific purpose compartmentalizing saves space.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135904 - 06/13/08 03:52 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Once again, what is the overall benefit... I can put an organized first aid kit into my briefcase now and still use it as a useful briefcase. Very organized and noth "thrown together". A typical briefcase has organizational pockets.

Why would a business person lug around a briefcase that only contained first aid supplies and survival gear?

Just looking for a good justification for it...

#135905 - 06/13/08 03:53 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

A backpack is more ideal as it provides a method for carrying it without taking up one of your hands, which would be crucial.

Briefcases also imply something of value in them by their very nature. Backpacks, not so much.

If you are in a survival situation, no one will care that you are carrying a P.D.A. and some documents. When they see your briefcase, that is what they will think.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135907 - 06/13/08 03:59 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Again... in a survival situation, I sure don't want one of my hands full with a briefcase... The briefcase is only usefull if I have it with me the day the survival situation happens and is not practical to carry on a day to day basis.

Briefcases equate to money equate to something worthwhile. In panic situations, a lot of the populous degrade into looting. Here I am in business attire carrying a briefcase. You can bet that the mob would want it.

#135909 - 06/13/08 04:05 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

A typical briefcase has organizational pockets.

Those pockets, if not used for their intended purpose, would only take up valuable space. This is not meant as EDC as you normally won't use its contents on a daily basis. If you have any bug out plans which involves a city, it would be a good item to have access to.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135910 - 06/13/08 04:07 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

Briefcases equate to money equate to something worthwhile. In panic situations, a lot of the populous degrade into looting. Here I am in business attire carrying a briefcase. You can bet that the mob would want it.

Good point. However I think a back pack just screams "survival gear."

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.