Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#130597 - 04/20/08 01:22 AM What we did today.
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
DD and I spent the day helping at the 1st Annual Capital City Adventure Race (CCAR) www.capcityadventure.com .She assisted at central control. I was event physician and general assistant “step-n-fetchit”. Fortunately my physician skills weren’t needed (God, I love working with pros).

It was a “short” event: approx. 25 road miles of biking, 4.5 miles of single track technical biking, .75 miles of canoeing, approx. 3 miles of running (including a short orienteering course). We had 47 teams of 2. The first team was over the finish line in approx. 3 hours. It was 55 degrees C, intermittent drizzle, IFR weather (low clouds, < 2 mile visibility).

The money raised will go to build addt’l. biking trails in the park system.

#130610 - 04/20/08 12:41 PM Re: What we did today. [Re: marduk]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sounds like a fun day, if you are into that sweating stuff. Personally, I'm too old and worn out for that kinda thing anymore. Glad your doctoring skills were not needed...

#130617 - 04/20/08 02:15 PM Re: What we did today. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
cool - we did one of those up here in NYC - "The Big Onion" - tthe company did NOT know what they were biting off - tey thought getting a verrbal OK from the local police precinct would allow them to close the Varazanno Narrows Bridge. That the teams would be allowed in to Yankee Stadium in the middle of the night to see the Monuments. They did not realize how rough the water could get it the hudson (after 2 teams were pulled out by the USCG they canceled that phase), plus we got some of the worst summer weather we had in a LONG time - 4+ inches of rain that day

I was the Ham Radio operator for Yankee Stadium. Of course to make that leg more fun, it was the day/night Roger Clemens got his 300th win/3000th strikeout - picture, I'm supposed to find a place for the racers to find me, be obvious, and setup my truck nearby - the closest parking I could get was 1 mile away, and in the middle of the night, had to walk that mile and get the truck, so they did not lock it in.

Now, during the game, and for the first couple of hours afterwards, I felt safe - more than a FEW cops - after that, I was all alone, and Yankee Stadium is NOT in the best area
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 431 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.