Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126561 - 03/06/08 11:59 PM Portable Power - The High Lift Jack
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I did not tie-down my new ice fishing hut and a couple of weeks ago on a very windy day it blew over on it's side. This was not a big deal as the exterior is sheet metal and it is on about 3 feet of lake ice. The problem was that on every sunny day it would sink deeper into the ice and it was too heavy for me to lift upright on my own (it is 6'x8' about 500lbs).

So last Monday I decided to get it back on it's ski's again. I put a burning Coleman stove in the hut to try and melt the ice under it, this had little effect as the hut is insulated with styrofoam. I chipped all around the hut with an ice chisel then chopped a 1foot deep by 3 feet long trough in the ice next to the lower rear wall (the strongest part of the structure).

Then the real portable power came into use, I slid a Hi-Lift Jack (we call them Jackalls up here) under the hut wall and 3 cranks later the hut was broken free from the ice! To see what I am talking about, a High-Lift Jack can be seen here http://www.hi-lift.com/products/jacks.htm

I then cut similar troughs on both sides of the hut at the roofline and jacked the structure up until the roof was about 3 feet off the ice, it was now on about a 30* angle. I may have been able to push it upright by hand but this was risky as the jacks would fall out as soon as I started to lift. So I attached 2 ropes to the upper ski ends and then to my 4x4 Toyota Truck and very slowly pulled the hut upright.

Success, and the only damage to the new hut was where I nicked it a couple times with the ice chisel or axe.

On the drive home I got thinking about all the times I had used the High-Lift Jack to get me out of trouble in the bush. I cannot remember how often it has got me unstuck in my vehicle, but I have also jacked small buildings with it and even used it to move boulders and pull fence posts. It not only lifts but it also pulls and compresses things.

Here is a handy trip that an old timer taught me when I was new on the job, that has save my butt a couple times. When you get a flat tire in the bush and you cannot get the lug nuts off because they are seized on, use the hollow handle of the Jack-All as a cheater bar to get more leverage on the wrench. Be careful, I once twisted the head off a lug wrench doing this.

I have a Jackall in both my personal and work truck and a third one in the garage for jobs around the house, I have found them to be very useful, durable, portable power and inexpensive insurance at about $90.00.

Does anyone else also appreciate this tool?

Mike

Standard Disclamer: I have no interest in the High-Lift Jack company but I sure owe the inventor a beer if I ever do meet him.

#126571 - 03/07/08 01:08 AM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Does anyone else also appreciate this tool?..."

Oh yeah, they are great tools. I have carried one for years, even used one once to lift the collapsed steering column away from a drive trapped in his wrecked vehicle. They can lift, push, pull, you name it. Everyone should have one...

#126583 - 03/07/08 02:40 AM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: SwampDonkey]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
:)The HiLift Jack is a rescue staple tool. They can be used for the obvious, lifting, pulling, crushing, etc. These are carried on every "certified" rescue apparatus in NC because of their versatility. I have personally carried one for about 15 years and have enjoyed great success with it for normal uses, and in place of other rescue appliances in their absence. Freed two in an interstate collision by popping the doors prior to arrival of a rescue company. Additionally, a device called a "JACK MATE" adds capability to an already versatile tool. JACK MATE are approx. $50.00 USD. Google search for a vendor.
If you carry tow straps and/or good grade chain along with a few basic hand tools you have a formidable capacity to handle many emergency events.

#126584 - 03/07/08 02:42 AM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I used one to pull old fence posts and small stumps up. Foolishly let it go when I sold my ancient International Scout many moons ago.

#126592 - 03/07/08 04:49 AM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: dweste
I used one to pull old fence posts and small stumps up. Foolishly let it go when I sold my ancient International Scout many moons ago.

Same thing here, I had one in my first car (it was an old cop car, a 1970 Dodge Monaco) I let it go with the car when I traded the car in.

I now carry one of those hydraulic jacks with me along with the normal car jack. And a come along & 20-foot of chain.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#126600 - 03/07/08 11:05 AM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: BobS]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
A hilift jack has come in handy more times than i would like to admit to.

Here is a site with lots of stuff to go with your jack,

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/hilift/

Standard Disclamer: I have never dealt with this company, they just have a cool website.

#126631 - 03/07/08 04:18 PM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Jack-alls are great tools. Every farm and acreage has one or two around, for good reason. With a couple of jacks and a 6' prybar you can move just about anything, even when working by yourself. (Though if you have access to a front-end loader, your jacks will gather dust.)

I was given a Chinese knock-off version for Christmas. It will probably do the light jobs I need it for, but I don't know how far I'd trust it.

#126665 - 03/07/08 11:46 PM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: NightHiker]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I won't leave the pavement without one. Vital piece of rescue/recovery gear IMHO.

I couldn't agree more. They can (and I have) be used for many things from lifting a vehicle over a rock, winching over a dead fall tree and re-seating a tire bead.

A word of advise; at least once a year grease the parts on the lifting mechinism. Then it will last you a life-time.

#126672 - 03/08/08 01:07 AM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: 91gdub]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

They are even handier when used in pairs. Rig a chain to it and it can replace a winch. You have to work it 3' at a time. Very adaptable and capable tools.

The one thing you don't ever do with them is get under a load they are holding. The design is good and reliable for cargo lifting but entirely unsuitable for protecting a life.

Lots of people have been injured when the ratchet pawl broke, slipped or failed to stay engaged at the wrong time. They are a even worse if not well maintained and kept in near-perfect condition.

Well maintained, expertly and carefully used they are a tremendous asset. Inexpertly or carelessly used your better off calling a tow truck.

#126729 - 03/08/08 01:24 PM Re: Portable Power - The High Lift Jack [Re: dweste]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: dweste

The foolish part was selling the Scout.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.