Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#127582 - 03/17/08 05:46 PM Some pics
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
Hi folks,

I'm just sharing some pics for those that love the outdoors. These are of Guyana, South America (SA), which is the only english speaking country in SA and is situated on the North coast of the continent.

There are also some albums with some family stuff, feel free to go thru those also, but prepared to be bored.

Here's a link to my pics albums. Some might find them interesting. The ones relating to the outdoors are "Eiripan trip to Rewa 2008", "Bin ah bush - Jan '07" and anything with "Essequibo" in the name.

http://community.webshots.com/user/naseemnasir?vhost=community

Enjoy.
Nas.

#127631 - 03/18/08 12:47 AM Re: Some pics [Re: Naseem]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Nas,

Nice shots, especially this one labeled "homestead"! I'd love to have a place like that to return too after a hard week.

Some of the food in the other albums looked really, really good, especially the curry and the sushi. It looked like the heads were still on the fish in the curry. Do you eat the whole fish, head and all, or do you just nibble the meaty bits off the fish?

Thanks for sharing!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#127665 - 03/18/08 01:05 PM Re: Some pics [Re: Blast]
Naseem Offline

The whole fish (minus the guts and gills of course)... I can fillet a fish, but I have a black belt in avoiding the bones...

BTW - it's all stainless steel knives over here - too much water for carbon steel...

Nas.

#127672 - 03/18/08 03:14 PM Re: Some pics [Re: Naseem]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Hey brother. There are some cool pics here dude. I really like your back yard. Looks like good fishing

#127681 - 03/18/08 04:42 PM Re: Some pics [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

HI naseem and thanks for the pics

I wonder if you have any preparedness culture over there and what are the most probable kind of disasters ( hurricanes, trpical storms, volcanoes ..etc. )

#127695 - 03/18/08 07:24 PM Re: Some pics [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Naseem Offline

It's normally good fishing except when the water's "big". This is usually at high tide or after heavy rains. If there's too much water in the creek then the fish just don't bite. Maybe something to do with the probability of a fish coming to within sensing distance of the bait decreasing the more water there is in the creek?

The thing is that I'm not a fisherman but I'd like to be. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm not sure that fishing is going to be an easy source of food in a survival situation. But then again, that might just be my luck...

Nas.

#127696 - 03/18/08 07:35 PM Re: Some pics [Re: Chisel]
Naseem Offline

We don't have natural disasters over here. Guyana is below sea level and out of the path of the hurricanes. The Guiana Shield is a large rock extending from Venezuela all the way to French Guiana, and this provides a stable base - so no earthquakes.

We do get some flooding on the coastal plain after heavy rain for multiple days, but by and large there are no sort of natural disasters there.

But we have politicians. Nuf said.

Preparedness culture does not really exist here. Guyana is one of the poorest countries (politicians again - we have resources aplenty) in the world, as a result for most people, everyday living is a survival challenge.

That said, I love it here. The people are friendly and the outdoors is lots of fun.

Nas.

#127705 - 03/18/08 08:46 PM Re: Some pics [Re: Naseem]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
this may be a stupid question but......Can you swim in that water freely or are there too many things that will try and eat/sting/poison you?

In Canada there are very few animals that would be considered as dangerous. I can swim in any body of water around here and the only thing I really need to worry about are leaches. I have a friend in the US living in Florida who tells me about all the crocs in his backyard and I think about how different that would be in a survival situation for me. all I see in my yard are rabbits and squirrels. Night and day

#127745 - 03/19/08 11:38 AM Re: Some pics [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Naseem Offline

Well the river does have a few biting animals. There's the dreaded piranha! Actually they've got a bad reputation based on TV and the movies. I swim in every river at every opportunity and have never been bitten. I certainly wouldn't swim with an open wound though - why tempt fate? The worse damage I've seen inflicted by a piranha has been restricted to a missing toe or finger.

There's also cayman in the rivers. These are the smaller, generally docile version of the alligator and crocodile and they usually run on sight.

There are snakes in the forest. Long boots and generally being observant and careful is usually enough to avoid them. It's rare to encounter a snake, not only due to their camouflage, but they run at the sight of people too.

The worst animal is the mosquito. Usually the mosquito and his/her whole family goes to dinner at once, normally at sunset and some hang around all night long.

Nas.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.