The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126568 - 03/07/08 12:45 AM Looking for new x-bike
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
I know everyone here has a different area of expertise so to speak, so I am sure someone may be able to offer some light on this subject.

one of my favorite things to do in summer is extream mountain biking. I havent went for a while but I want to get back into it this summer. I currently use a Mongoose fireball bike but will soon be in the market for a new one. as such I was wondering if anyone here enjoys riding trails, jumping over rocks, and generally getting muddy while trying desparately not to beat yourself into a bloody pulp on a mountain bike. If so maybe someone can recomend a new bike for consideration.

I need one which is light enough to carry short distances, with a good strong frame and good shock absorbers. I like the Mongoose but there may be better chioces out there. Money is not the biggest issue but I would like to keep it under 1000 bucks.

As well I am looking for a sadle bag or system to attach to the frame in which I can add my basic survival gear for a day trip. I used to carry it in a back pack but this kinda screws up your balance a bit. I usually carry such items as medical items. food, shelter, tire repair, you know.the normal stuff for a day trip survival kit. I dont want to bore anyone with a list that I am sure was repeated a thousand times here on the forum. I have added a few special items like Anti-bear spray and my Iridium to the list. whatever system I get to secure these items will have to be small enough not to hinder the balance of the bike any more than necessary.

two years ago I was alone and wiped out really bad riding a steep trail in the rain. I broke a thumb and tore a huge hole in my forearm, as well as a lot of scrapes and bruises Getting back to my truck was a nightmare, I did not have enough med items on me so I plan on not making that mistake again. I also saw bears a few times. they usually pay me no heed but I am in their back yard and thus take extra precautions when in bear country. you never know.

any one here have any suggestions for a new bike and carry system? thanks

#126601 - 03/07/08 11:52 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
When I used to ride, I went through a few bikes (dive bombing ski hills in the summer does that), and love the Kona's. I think the model i had was hanana (something like that) and it was super light but for the life of me i couldn't bust it and i tried.

All the joints and spokes were double butted (sp?) - saved on weight a bit. Went through a few componets (like you always do)... In fact the bike and the rims survived everything I did with it, including a fall on a diamond run where I got tangled up in the bike and slid down the hill on my back. Still have the scars on my back from that adventure.

I never carried more then a few things under my seat in one of those little pouches... so can't help you with a carry system.

#126696 - 03/08/08 04:04 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: Kris]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

hey ....nice

I have been checking out these bikes and they seem fairly solid. Thanks. I will give them a closer look.

I didnt expect to get many replies but it never hurts to ask a question.

you never know who may be sitting around a campfire.

#126701 - 03/08/08 04:13 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: Kris]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

fanny pack?

#126705 - 03/08/08 04:27 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: teacher]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

The fanny is where I plan on putting my FA items from now on as my last spill left me busted up a fair distance away from the bike. I kinda had to crawl on hands a knees back up the hill a bit to grab the kit out of the under the seat pouch. Not much could be stored in there either. I also take a ultra light backpack which hugs close to my back and which will not pull me off balance. during my fall my steel cup which was in my backpack nearly broke a rib or two as I fell on it so I will be replacing that with something else or I will try to carry it on the bike somehow. I would like to find a better system for storing a few more emergency items on the bike itself without making it to heavy.

unfortunately it is a trial and error learning curve in which I will most likely hurt myself before I realize it needs changing.

#126709 - 03/08/08 04:51 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: ]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I road BMX competitively for DansComp.com when I was 13-15. I know bikes.

cool man, thanks. I usually go to a national park where allowed and bike the trails. some times I will spend a night under the stars and some times I will be back at my truck by dark. I am no pro. I have a few scars to prove it. Any opinions from someone who knows this stuff is very welcome.

I may have been suckered in by all the hype. just like anything else if you pay only for what an item is actually worth and not the hype then it will be considerabley less. Just out of curiousity. what type of Mongoose and what type of mods did you do? When I said that price was not a big concern I meant that I will not fret over a couple of bucks to compromise quality. if a good bike is 200 but a much better bike is 300 then that is money well spent. I hate to waste money however. except on the case of beer I am halfway through right now. but If I can get what I need for less then I will persue those means.

#126710 - 03/08/08 04:57 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: bigmothertrucker]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

hey...nice pic.

you answered my question while I was typing it.

Dont you find that pack tends to throw you off, especially trying to go down a steep hill?

Maybe I just need more practice but I hate having a large bag on my back on a bike.

I was thinking on going with a large fanny to put FA items in. at least when I miss my next jump I will have the stuff on me when I am bloodied up and crying. tucked up in a little ball with my twisted bike back up on the ridge.

#126718 - 03/08/08 06:24 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: ]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
Brakes. U Brakes, H Brakes, D Brakes and Disc Brakes. U and Disc are typically the best combination.

I had no idea about this. I was always led to believe D or H were better. This is good to know.

Quote:
You just gotta make sure you keep it tight to your body so it doesn't move around or end up flying over your head and taking you with it.

My big wipeout was an attempt to ride down a fat fallen log. All the while my back pack did not seem to fit just right despite any attempt at ajustment. At the end I did a jump off the end of the log. textbook. Upon landing the wheel caught and turned very sharp. The handle bars would have got me good except for my thumb snapping off with a nice popping sound. As I went ass over teakettle over the bars, thankfully without ripping off my b@##$ I landed flat on my back and nearly broke some ribs because of the steel serria cup in the backback. a few more rolls down the rest of the hill and I somehow managed to open up a hole in my forearm which bled quite nice. As I looked back up the hill to where the bike kinda stopped short a few things went through my mind.

why the HELL did I just attempt to ride down a GOD$#$$$D log.

why did I keep my shell dressing under the seat of the bike and not on me somewhere.

where else can I store my survival/cooking items to prevent them from killing me the next time I wipe out like this.

and..I really hope nobody saw me.

I didnt get out much for a while due to being sent overseas but I want to start again soon as the snow goes and the mud is still deep. as the memory of crawling up that hill and then continuing on the last 3 or 4 k to my truck with a crude wooden splint on my thumb, a shell dressing on my elbow, busted lips, covered in deer s^^t and riding on a very wobbly front tire are still fresh in my head I plan to resolve these issues somehow. plus I wants a new bike.

I am looking at the mongoose bikes you mentioned. I have the fireball now which is good, but it is old and has been through a few too many spills.

BTW. cool vid. I am not at that level. most likely never will be either but it looks like a good course to injure myself on.

#126719 - 03/08/08 06:25 AM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: ]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

If you are finding that a pack is throwing you off balance then the same weight will be much worse on the bike when riding off road.

A small, well fitting pack will work quite well as long as you do not overload it. It is the overloading part that often becomes difficult when you try to cover all possibilities such as spending the night out or dealing with major trauma.

As you have experience, mountain biking can involve major trauma and it happens often so I would lean towards more first aid items rather than overnight comfort if weight is an issue.

#126904 - 03/10/08 01:33 PM Re: Looking for new x-bike [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I trail ride (as in...the kind you see in Washington State.) and I don't bother wasting my money on an expensive bike. None of the guys I know do either. We trash them too quickly! We just go and get the standard 200 dollar Mongooses' off the rack at Sears and put them together ourselves with a few custom parts. They last just as long as any other 500-2,500 bikes a few of my friends have wasted their time on getting.

I like this idea. A bike is a bunch of components, but when you buy one off the shelf, it is really two: the frame; and the "grupo" or component set. Frames made of similar material should be priced similarly. The grupos are only made by a few companies, until you get into more expensive stuff. If you have a good grupo and trash the frame, you can pull off the good components, put them on a new frame, and then you get to do it all again. You could take a frame left out in the rain or used by someone else and get a decent bike by doing this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.