Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124347 - 02/19/08 01:29 PM Ordering from Canada via USPS
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi,

I ordered two German Bundeswehr rucksacks from Cabela. But the wait is terribly long. They told me to allow 14 to 21 business days but now it's been 24 business days (more than a month) and I still didn't receive my package. I think it's because they turn it over to Canada Post at the border and maybe they have to inspect it. Anyway, I don't really have a tracking number and don't know what to do to "claim" my package or file a complaint or something, or if I should contact Cabela. This is ridiculous, I mean it takes two weeks to ship by boat to the UK... Have you had similar inconvenience? What should I do?

Frankie

#124359 - 02/19/08 02:42 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: Frankie]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
conact cabelas they will have the tracking number and will give it to you and they should track it for you too.

#124363 - 02/19/08 02:58 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: raydarkhorse]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If it's sent by standard parcel post, then you might have to wait a bit longer.

When it gets to the border, they give it to Customs. Customs eventually takes their finger out and processes it (I once had a package sit in customs for 8 months...though this is not common by any means). Then it goes to Canada Post for delivery. Generally you're looking at 2 weeks to a month depending on the season and the type of product. If they put 'military ruck' on the customs invoice, they might be opening it up to check it out...which they do often and have the right to...which also adds delays.

Now if you get somebody to ship USPS express, it goes to Purolator when it gets to the border...I've had VERY good experiences with this method of shipping from the US.

Just avoid UPS with US to Canada shipments! Their customer service stinks and they do their own brokerage. The good is that your package clears customs with zero wait. The bad is that they charge you 2-5 times your duty and tax in brokeage fees! I've had $150 items cost over $300 after paying UPS!

#124378 - 02/19/08 04:07 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Cabela's always very, very good customer service. Call them.

#124425 - 02/19/08 09:41 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: dweste]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the replies.

Raydarkhorse, I already contacted them and they wrote "Unfortunately, there is not a tracking number which will allow you to watch the progress of the order."

Hacksaw, thanks for sharing your experience. But I ordered from Brigade Quartermaster and they used UPS. It took about three days and although it was a bit expensive, it was decent. They wrote "machine parts, other" on the package while it was clothing, I guess it helped to reduce the costs.

Frankie

#124429 - 02/19/08 09:59 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: Frankie]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Yes. Some retailers will play those games...until the broker opens the box one day and ships it right back to them for having the paperwork filled out correctly.

For small value things, UPS is usually okay (My customer service bias is based on the depot here...your mileage may differ). Their fees are (I think) based on the value of the item they're processing so stuff under $50 isn't bad...and if it's much cheaper than that it might be tax exempt. Some types of items are exempt too like certain electronics goods.

It's really a catch 22. I once bought a broken notebook computer on eBay for $5. Canada Customs decided in their infinite wisdom that $5 for a computer was impossible and charged me tax and duty on $1500, making my $5 notebook cost more like $140. Because UPS had processed it and paid the government on my behalf via their brokers, they demanded the money and I refused to pay. I had to jump through many flaming hoops to get a refund from the government. Fortunately my cheque arrived the same day the notice from the collection agency did.

#124455 - 02/20/08 01:08 AM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: Frankie]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Frankie,

Canada and the U.S. should just become one. Free shipping for you and free healthcare for us. laugh

Kidding people, I'm a 1/4 Canuck also.

From Wikipedia

"The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian. This was probably the original meaning, though in Canada and other countries, "Canuck" refers to any Canadian."

Canadians use "Canuck" as an affectionate description of nationality and the word carries no particular patriotic overtones. A few Americans misinterpret "Canuck" as an offensive noun but would be hard pressed to find a Canadian, French or English, insulted by the word.

No political overtones intended,

Blitz

#124456 - 02/20/08 01:12 AM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Just avoid UPS with US to Canada shipments! Their customer service stinks and they do their own brokerage. The good is that your package clears customs with zero wait. The bad is that they charge you 2-5 times your duty and tax in brokeage fees! I've had $150 items cost over $300 after paying UPS!

I second that - UPS between countries is a total rip-off. UPS within Canada is fine but for stuff coming from Stateside they kill you in the fees and I've never found them to be faster than simple post. By far the cheapest and fastest route is the use old fashioned US Postal Service (USPS not UPS).

On the time delay issue - it is taking Customs 2x as long to process things these days. Ever since the dollars have reached parity the volume of mail-order trade with the US has quadrupled! We are keeping a lot of mail-order companies down there afloat. smile

#124484 - 02/20/08 12:09 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: Roarmeister]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
When I lived in Canada, I mail ordered all the time from the states. Yes, there were some delays, but found that usps (think thats the initals), were the best deal in town for delivery.

Fellow canucks; Don't complain too much about those prices for brokerage and duty fees. Down here, its starts at 20% of the total cost of the order (including shipping) and goes up... wayyyyyyy up. Thats if your using usps. If using fedex or dhl, then there's a brokerage fee on top of all of that. Not to mention the charge for international shipping from the states (usually three categories of shipping from a USA store: usa, canada, other). My last order's shipping charge from REI is 100 bucks and its only 10 items, 1/2 of that being shorts and some t-shirts (its a 400 dollar order).

#125577 - 02/28/08 01:45 PM Re: Ordering from Canada via USPS [Re: dweste]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

That's true, I have contacted them and they immediately filed a loss and reshipped the merchandise and said that I should receive it in a few weeks...

Frankie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.