The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126201 - 03/03/08 11:44 PM Handheld GPS best practices
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Just getting acquainted with a Garmin eTrex Legend. What are some of the best practices for using a handheld GPS unit? (Yes, I am reading and re-reading the manual and visiting the Garmin website.)

So far I am making sure the unit can see the sky. But how do you carry the thing to maximize "sky" in the field without having to hold it in hand?

Thanks

#126206 - 03/03/08 11:56 PM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have a Garmin eTrex Legend, have had it for 4-years or so. I just put it in a coat or shirt breast pocket when out hiking. Or put it in a holster I bought for it.

When I use it while driving I put it up on the dash of my van, I wedge it against the window and dash or against the side window of the van. It almost always gets a good lock when in the van, while hiking it sometimes drops out of a good lock when in the pocket, but reacquires it when pulled out and held in front of me.

The best thing you can do is to get out and play with it to become familiar with what it can do. Mine runs for something like 18-hrs on 2 AA batteries so it’s not an expensive thing to use.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#126217 - 03/04/08 01:20 AM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: dweste]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
If you are referring to the screen often, a chest pack made for fly-fishing works very well. The front of the pack flops down flat or at what ever angle you adjust it to. I velcro the GPS to the inside of the front flap so it faces me at sternum level. A pen and log book for notes is on the vertical surface against your sternum - out of the way but handy. Extra batteries are beside the GPS.

If you have two noids, a trauma plate fit inside of the pack keeping it stiff, flat and full size. The GPS is heavier then its pouch partner, a S&W360PD.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#126218 - 03/04/08 01:34 AM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: dweste]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Depends on what you're doing.
Walking, driving, running, boating, flying - what?
(won't work well for scuba diving, caving, or riding subway)

When hiking I run it off car power on the way to trailhead then mark where I parked the car. This is the single most important waypoint I'll take all day.

I may get mine out to mark a trail junction or something of importance but mostly it rides in its pocket.

Carrying it around like a tri-corder is a waste of batteries unless you're very close to some coordinates you were given (such as geo-caching). Read about the repeatability of GPS coordinates so you know why you aren't standing in your old footprints the 2nd time....

I've programmed hotel and business sites beforehand when doing business travel.
I've programmed a flight path I wanted to follow (tour of extinct missile silos in Colo. and Nebraska) when flying light aircraft.

I've plotted a wreckage debris field (somewhat questionable in terms of repeatability)

Lots of fun stuff you can do.

See http://coloradowreckchasing.com for more fun ideas.

#126219 - 03/04/08 01:40 AM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: dweste]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I generally carry my Legend in my pack and only turn it on to check locations or mark a waypoint.

However, on some walks I have had it on the whole time more for entertainment reasons than navigation. I have one of those radio pouches from Country Comm and the Legend will just squeeze into that. You have to listen that you have not pushed the mouse down though. This radio pouch has a horizontal belt velcro arrangement that works great with my backpack straps. I have the pouch mounted on my left shoulder strap almost at shoulder level. It keeps tracking there and is easy to pull out to refer to.

I think Country comm has two versions of this pouch....I have the shorter one and the flap barely velcros shut....get the longer version I think.

#126222 - 03/04/08 01:58 AM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: ponder]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
oBuy and install an Invisible Shield screen protector ASAP.

oCarry spare batteries.

oCarry a compass with adjustable declination and a good paper topo map of the area - and know how to use them and the GPS together.

oCarry a UTM grid and know how to use it with your paper map to convert a GPS coordinate to a location on your paper map, and vise vera. See http://www.maptools.com for details.

oPre-load as many waypoints in your GPS as possible before heading out. I use geobuddy from http://www.geobuddy.com.

oMake sure you set the GPS datum to match your map. Common mistake!

oCarry a small notepad or folded paper, and a pen to take notes (see next suggestion).

oDon't bother creating waypoint names while traveling - just use the default codes and jot down a note defining the respective codes. Change the waypoint names later when you have more time at home or in camp. Use the same notepad to take notes on your trail.

oDon't leave your GPS on all the time unless you specifically want to capture a track for your travel route - instead stop frequently to turn on the GPS and capture key waypoints or to get bearings.

oCapture waypoints often - no such thing as too often. Make sure you create a waypoint for your car location and campsites.

oThe #1 rule of navigation is to never lose track of where you are - Ever. Always keep track of your current location on your paper map.

oCarry your GPS & compass with you when wondering away from camp. Lots of stories of folks who have problems finding their camp in dim evening light.

oAssume your GPS is water resistant, but NOT waterproof - lots of stories of leaking cases. Consider getting an Aquapac case if on water.

oLots of folks add an external antenna and then put the anetnna on top of hats or packpacks if leaving GPS on. A top shirt pocket may work for some. I myself don't leave it on.

oBe prepared!

#126226 - 03/04/08 02:07 AM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I use mine much like unimogbert does. I turn it on, mark points and turn it off and your car IS the most important point you mark, trailhead, turns and forks are good too. If you can mark a point on the GPS that is a good visual reference, you will have a point of reference from the GPS to the real world (this may be more relevant to non-mapping units like mine, but it's still of use to units with maps).

I use it to fix specific locations, rather than plotting a track. If for some reason I became not found, I'd pull out the GPS and determine bearing and distance to one of the locations I'd marked. Then I'd use a real compass to walk to that spot. This saves batteries and keeps me from becoming fixated on the GPS rather than watching the trail.

#126249 - 03/04/08 01:35 PM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: dweste]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
The Legend has a patch antenna that has to be orintated horiozntal to work. So you do just like you do with a compass. Know wyere you are and then start moving so the bearing needle pointos the direction you want to go. Now find a prominate object in the direction your going and head to it. Once you get there repeat until you get to where you want to be.
cheers

#126252 - 03/04/08 01:53 PM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Good info. Since AA batteries are pretty cheap at Costco, I usually leave my GPS on all the time, and have it leave a cookie crumb trail of where I have been. Just 'cuz I like to. But I still carry a map and compass, and spend a lot of time practicing putting my GPS location on the paper map. If I don't practice it I tend to forget how to do it. And what did I have for breakfast today???

#126266 - 03/04/08 04:56 PM Re: Handheld GPS best practices [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Good info. Since AA batteries are pretty cheap at Costco

Buy a pack of Eneloop's. My Garmin takes two AA's so the $7.99 to $11.99 depending on where you buy them 4 pack of Sanyo Eneloop's gives me one set in the gps and one spare set. I tend to turn mine on and drop it in a poclet when we go any place and let it log. SO I just swap the batteries on a friday night before the weekend's travels and drop the somewhat used set in the charger and pull them out Sat morning before we leave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.