Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#119612 - 01/10/08 06:34 PM thinking about purchasing a mountain bike
oceanside Offline
Stranger

Loc: Miami, Florida
Hi, I am thinking about getting a mountain bike. Primarily for exercise but perhaps using it to explore the outdoors. I don't want to spend an enormous amount of $$ for the bike (this would be my first bike as an adult, and I am 35), but I would like to get a decent one. I used to "BMX and freestyle" back in my high school days (for those who are old enough you may know what im talking about), but I've never gotten back into bicycling since then and want to get into mountain biking.

Anybody have any good recommendations for a mountain bike, i.e. make/models, and what other things to consider when taking up this sport/hobby.

thanks

#119613 - 01/10/08 07:29 PM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: oceanside]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
You are really buying two things when you buy a bike, these days. A frame and a set of components.

If you looked at most bikes, that are not expensive, you will find the same brands of components on the bikes regardless of the brand of the bike. Shimano components a plenty. If you were to look up an online bike catalog (for example bike nashbar), you would see the different levels of shimano components with the price increasing with perceived quality. Suntour is out of business, I think, and I do not know if any other manufacturer is in the lower end of the market. If you go to the upper end of the market, you can find more brands.

As far as frames, you want three things: fit, strength and light weight. Don't sacrifice the other two for weight, if you are in the lower end of the market. The material a bike's frame is made from can be steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, and probably a few other things. Buy cromoly steel, unless you intend to spend more money.

The other decision with a mountain bike is suspension or no suspension. The cheapest suspension systems are the front forks only.

You might be very well off to buy someone's frame which sat out in the rain a bit too much and learn to do you own work on the bike to strip it down and rebuild it. It takes 4 hours if you are not slow. And if you know how to do it, then youo are not going to get a teenager trying to fix your bike and doing ti wrong, whihc has happened to me.

#119617 - 01/10/08 08:31 PM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: oceanside]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

two years ago, after much research, i got a 'gary fisher' 'marlin'.

i found that fisher had the highest quality add-ons (brakes, front-only suspension, derailleur) for the lowest price - as a package. not sure if true today.

only change i'd make is get a smaller frame - i'm on the borderline and chose the larger frame.

search the forums here and you'll find a thread that contains what the different members carry. different requirements for different users.

in the mountains i carry my typical day backpack. the bike carries extra water, a universal bike tool kit - kind of like a leatherman for bikes - tire patches called 'scabs', and a spare inner tube - easier to change out the tube in the field and then repair the bad tube at home. the scabs cover the lightning strike in the same place twice potential.

around town, same backpack but less water.

good luck!

#119644 - 01/11/08 12:48 AM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: oceanside]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
When I decided to get one several years ago, I went to a local shop. They asked about price range, where I'd be riding, what surfaces, fit, etc. I was looking for one for streets/bike trail & the best quality for the money. I ended up getting a Giant Sedona.

#119694 - 01/11/08 12:22 PM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: UTAlumnus]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
My favorite bikes were Kona's. I've tried a few brands, and kept going back to them. Back when I rode, I did cross country and downhill. Nothing like going down a ski hill in the summer!

They weren't 'that' pricy at the time and the frames were built like tanks even though I had the lightess frame I could get (with the cash at the time). If you do get into this sport, be prepared to change out components often. If your using it for an every day rider then you don't need to worry. But like everything in life, if you abuse it often enough - you have to replace it.

Kris

#119708 - 01/11/08 02:57 PM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: Kris]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Check Craigslist if you are considering a used bike...I got a really nice GT Backwoods (original price was around $750) for $150, and there was nothing wrong with it besides a few scratches...in fact, it even had some upgrades.

#119866 - 01/13/08 03:23 AM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: oceanside]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

oceanside,
once you find some model u like, consider buying used -- other than leaving it out in the rain, most bikes are till fine after 1,000 mile or ten years.

helmet

helmet

teacher

helmet

#119868 - 01/13/08 03:45 AM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: teacher]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have to agree with teacher about the mandatory need for a helmet.

I was 3rd on the scene of a van vs pedal bike accident last summer where the cyclist pretty much torn his forehead off. I later helped the police officer clean up the scence and found the guys helmet, it had a big chunk taken out of the front of it proabaly by the metal bumper of the van. I would have hated to seen the cyclists injuries if the helmet had not cushioned the first impact.

By the way the guy was OK and released from the hospital a few days later with a very nasty scar across his forehead; he posted a nice Thank You letter in our local paper to all those who helped out.

Mike

#119872 - 01/13/08 03:57 AM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Can't emphasize enough the need for a helmet. I wouldn't ride five feet without one.

1,000 miles? I have 30,000 on my present frame. Of course, every component except the seat post is at least a first generation replacement.

Read up a bit and ask around about a good local bike shop. The most important feature of your bile will be proper fit. Everything else is details and can be fiddled with, replaced, or upgraded. But the proper size frame is forever.

#119998 - 01/14/08 04:07 AM Re: thinking about purchasing a mountain bike [Re: ]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I recommend "Giant" Aluminum entry level bike. It cost approximately $400 bucks. you get high quality frame with decent parts. It will last forever if you don't take it for jump off the cliff.

AVOID WALMART BIKES AT ALL COSTS ! These bikes are very poorly engineered, assembled together that the parts will literally fall apart on the trail. You will suffer serious injuries. I read about serious accidents from Wallmart made bikes.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.