The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#117833 - 12/28/07 04:50 PM A Thoughtful Gift
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

Over Christmas I had the pleasure of spending time with a long term family friend; my sidlings and I call her our "Grandmother By Choice" as that is how important she has been in our lives.

Completely unexpectedly she presented each of us with a very thoughtful gift to buy "something you have always wanted".

After discussion with my wife we decide to have a gas fireplace installed in our living room as a centrepiece to the decor and act as a secondary heat source, this will use the majority of the gift.

Since I have known my "adopted grandmother" all my life I would also like to purchase a functional item so that every time I use it I can think of her.

Here are my thoughts; it needs to be a useful, durable item that is well designed and classy, something that will not be out-of-date in a few years like electronics/optics/lights would be.

My first thought was a custom-made bushcraft knife, but the trouble with it is that I will only use it a few times a year and already have a custom knife my hunting partmer gave me 25 years ago.

My current thought is a new EDC folding knife? Does a Ritter RSK MK1 fit the perimeters of what I am looking for; I am counting on forum members for input as I have never handled or seen this knife in person (although I have read lots of reviews)?

This folding knife would be carried daily in urban, rural and remote settings clipped in my front left pants pocket; is the RSK MK1 too large for this, would the thinner, shorter mini RSK be a better choice?

So please reply and assist me in this pleasant decision; is a new EDC knife (RSK MK1 or other) an appropriate item to buy or would something else be more fitting?

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays,

Mike

#117834 - 12/28/07 05:02 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
A pink Griptilian....A pink Leatherman Squirt. It would definitely be a conversation piece. What better way to honor a person than to have your "manhood" challenged?

Or even just a little charm to put in/on your EDC as a reminder. It doesn't have to be functional to be useful. The fact that it reminds you of her is the most important.

The best presents I received from my DD (22 yrs old) the last two years have been decopague picture/poems of her and I--Priceless

You cannot beat that.

#117878 - 12/28/07 10:53 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
The RSK is a large knife for EDC. The question I ask is how large are you? I received my RSK 3 days ago and as far as I am concerned it isn't overly large to be EDC. Then again I am 6' 2" and hover over the 300 lb mark. I like mine and I have large hands.

For a trial run roll up some cardboard to the measurement specs and try carrying that in your pocket for a few days to see if it will be too large. you can fashion a pocket clip and all for it to give it a test run.

I was unsure about how well I would like mine before telling my girlfriend that I wanted one for Christmas/birthday. If you think it may be too large then order the Mini. That's the best advice that I can give.

#117887 - 12/28/07 11:33 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Mike,

Thats awesome that you have such a wonderful person in your life.

#117915 - 12/29/07 01:53 AM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
How much do you have to spend???

#117941 - 12/29/07 04:19 AM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the replys fellows,

In response,

MoBOB - I really like your charm/photo idea and will ask my mother for a nice picture of my "adopted Grandmother" to place on the mantle of our new fireplace, Thanks.

REDDOG79 - I am not quite your size (I am 6' tall, 220lbs with large hands), I like your idea of carrying a "dummy" RSK MK1 for a while to see how it fits in my pocket. I am going to build up a Gerber E-Z Out with cardboard to the RSK MK1 specs and carry it around for a time to see how it feels; good thinking!

OBG - I have about $200 to spend on this idea, not a lot in the high-end knife world but enought to have fun with.

Blitz - My "adopted Grandmother" is now 94 years old and still as sharp witted as ever. This is the first time in a long while that my entire immediate family has been together at Christmas, all 16 of us. It makes you remember the real importance of family and just how fortunate we are.

I am still contemplating this gift knife idea so please post you thoughts and ideas?

Mike

#117974 - 12/29/07 01:40 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Being a fan of Leatherman tools, how 'bout their Silver Anniversary commerative model ...

#117979 - 12/29/07 02:45 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Ok I've tried to resist but:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116930#Post116930

grin grin grin

But seriously, buy your wife something nice. That will earn brownie points for later.

#117993 - 12/29/07 04:53 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi,

OBG - The Silver Anniversary Wave would be perfect as I have EDC'ed a Leatherman for 13 years, but Santa was good to me this year and I just recieved a Charge TTi that is my new EDC. I like your thinking though.

Blitz - Sorry brother, "NO", not going to happen.

Mike

#118012 - 12/29/07 07:29 PM Re: A Thoughtful Gift [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Oh well, I tried anyway. Hope you and yours have a great New Year Mike.

Blitz

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.