The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116908 - 12/21/07 03:28 PM Attention: People of Earth
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot."

#116909 - 12/21/07 03:44 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I feel so insignificant that I must now stock up even more stuff 'cuz I can't leave the planet. I will gladly rule my imperceptible corner of the nearly imperceptible pixel on the canvas of the cosmos.

Sagan was such a sap!

#116922 - 12/21/07 04:51 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I didn't need that to feel insignificant, I can manage it just fine on my own. grin

Have you seen The Universe on the Discovery Channel? Pretty cool.

#116937 - 12/21/07 06:19 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
If you get the chance see a short movie (probably find it somewhere on the net) called “The Power of 10”, it was made back in the early 70’s, about 10 minutes long and was used to teach the metric system in schools, I remember seeing it again at the Smithsonian. It shows a couple having a picnic lunch and expanding the viewing field in powers of 10 as it goes out to behold the universe and then it heads in the negative direction to the sub-atomic view. It gives one the impression that at the extremes in both directions, some of the views have very much the same perspective as their counterpart.

Pete

#116938 - 12/21/07 06:20 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: Blitz]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Blitz

That was on the History Channel, and yes, it was very cool. Another really great one is called "Origins" which was on PBS.

#116945 - 12/21/07 06:36 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: MoBOB]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
In the words of Douglas Adams, you are "an invisible dot on an invisible dot, with a sign on it saying 'You Are Here'."

#116960 - 12/21/07 07:23 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi CityBoyGoneCountry,

Boy, that was particularly sentimental and bathetic from Carl Sagan.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8tmLvzubP3I

WARNING - Not for the squeamish.

#116964 - 12/21/07 07:43 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Sagan was such a sap!

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
bathetic from Carl Sagan.

Is it any wonder why the world is the sh-t hole that it is? When a man adopts the attitude of "kill em all" he's admired. But when a man tries to convey the preciousness of life he's ridiculed.

I've never been accused of being an optimist. I'm usually quite the pessimist, actually, which is why I'm on this website planning for worst-case scenarios. But the one thing that I remain optimistic about is the one thing that makes everyone else pessimistic. I don't think we, as a species, are doomed to self-destruct. I think we can avoid it. I think we will avoid it. We have the potential to do such fantastic things, the likes of which those of us who are alive today can't even begin to imagine.

It's not going to be easy. It will hurt, and hurt bad, for those who prophecy doom are themselves the bringers of doom. They will kill and be killed. But eventually, others will come to their senses and take the future of humankind onward to a better condition.

I have to believe that.

#116972 - 12/21/07 08:07 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: Blitz

That was on the History Channel, and yes, it was very cool. Another really great one is called "Origins" which was on PBS.

Sorry, my bad. I'll have to keep a lookout for the other one.

#117167 - 12/22/07 06:23 PM Re: Attention: People of Earth [Re: Blitz]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have no problem with people attempting to make and keep the peace on the planet. I understand that humanity has a great responsibility to protect and nurture the planet. I'm just not a Sagan fan in regards to his deeper philosophy and worldview.

The only time I'll adopt the "kill'em all" mentality is if an invasion of our shores starts. I will live in peace with all who come to this country with the same idea of living in peace and harmony. If they come bent on destruction, then they should prepare to meet their own. Then I will return to my peaceful life.

The TV series mentioned above are pretty slick. Great science stuff in there. I still marvel at how special a place we live. I love Earth!!! What a great planet!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.