Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114885 - 12/05/07 11:03 PM Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall
Sherpadog
Unregistered

A gunman killed eight people and wounded five others Wednesday at the popular Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, before apparently turning the gun on himself, police said.

Full article here.

Another article with more details here.

Some people were thinking smart by hiding in bathrooms, clothes racks and change rooms. I have often wondered what the best thing to do if something like this happened in an open area in a building that does not have many places to hide.

In the open area scenario, to try and survive, are you better off to run if possible to safety, or lay down and play dead if the chances of running are slim?

#114888 - 12/05/07 11:35 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
if possible, get out. If not, do whatever it takes to survive. For some, that would mean charging the attacker (not necessarily an act of bravery but, not necessarily not, either)...to others, it may mean laying down as if dead. Who knows what we'd do, I think the survival instinct dictates what's appropriate at the moment.

I'm always armed and I think I know what I'd do...but thinking and being there are, of course, two very different situations.

#114895 - 12/06/07 01:29 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Stretch]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Shoot back! If someone was armed, the situation might have turned out very different.

Of course it depends on the situation and perhaps duck and cover would be a better alternative. But at least, I would not be a helpless victim.

#114903 - 12/06/07 02:48 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Nomad]
DennisTheMenace Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Nomad,

I agree with you. An active defense (shooting back) should be an option for those capable and willing to use it. At the very least it provides an option other than "run and hide".

I live in the Omaha area, and I've shopped at the Von Maur store in Westroads mall. Unfortunately, while Nebraska began issuing concealed handgun permits this year, businesses can post 'no concealed carry' signs that have the force of law. Legal concealed carry for defense was not an option for shoppers at the mall.

We all welcome "random acts of kindness", but I fear we'll never eliminate "random acts of violence".

Dennis

#114927 - 12/06/07 07:44 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: DennisTheMenace]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
If I could determine from which direction the shots were coming from, I would run the other way.

If I decided to stay, I would look for cover (not just concealment) since we are talking about an active shooter. If I was not armed with a firearm, I would begin looking around for something that could be pressed into service as a weapon. Does the store you are in have a sporting goods section? Then, I would wait to ambush the
bad guy. Be alert and think aggressive. Hopefully, rescue would show up first.

I would not play dead, unless the bad guy was actually a brown bear.

#114932 - 12/06/07 12:49 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: DennisTheMenace]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Based on that premise, I'd say surviving victims and the families of those that died have a pretty good case for negligence against the mall owners and any businesses therein that subsribed to such a ridiculous policy.

Obviously the rule did absolutely nothing to prevent or deter the criminal act. So what was the purpose of such a rule?

I would expect to see ownership of that mall change hands soon, based on court orders if nothing else.

#114939 - 12/06/07 01:54 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: benjammin]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Notice how no one ever goes on a shooting spree at police stations. Why don't they? Because they know someone will be shooting back at them. They seek out those locations were the killing will be easy and unresisted.

#114945 - 12/06/07 02:30 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: benjammin]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I doubt I would lay down and play dead, I might chose to hide or fight back depending on the situation. As was mentioned there's always something near by that can be used as an improvised weapon.

Thats something else I have always been thinking about, how to handle the responsibility of the business owner, I mean should they be required by law to have armed guards at all entrances and exits to prevent such things, they would have to be armed and trained because an unarmed guard would just be another target.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#114949 - 12/06/07 04:40 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Shadow_oo00]
thechaplain Offline
Corporate Chaplain
Stranger

I might just be a little parinoid but when I go anywhere I look for possible exits and weapons.

#114950 - 12/06/07 04:44 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: thechaplain]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Ditto that advice

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.