Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#112455 - 11/14/07 04:54 AM Spicy India
Kononov59 Offline
Stranger

Spices have been prominent in human history virtually since their inception. Spices were among the most valuable items of trade in the ancient and medieval world. The culinary use of spices originated in the Indian Sub continent and South-East Asia. And Kerala has been renowned for exemplary quality. The quality of food from Kerala spiced up with tumeric, cinammon, cummin and cardamom have spread its fame far and wide. The kerala Spicy Indian Food thus becoming a hot favourite world over.

The reason these spices were used in Indian cooking is because the people of India belive that spices have medicinal and healing properties and taken in the right amout daily they would gaurantee the longivity of a human being. For example

Cumin seeds (jeera, jeeragam, jilakara, black cumin, kala jeera, royal cumin, shah jeera)- Used for its strong but very pleasing flavor. Used for digesting foods. Spice & useful in obstretics. They help to cure flatulence and colic pain.( After heavy meals and to children after feed it can be given to prevent intestinal colic. In 1 litre water add 1-teaspoon cumin seeds and boil it. This water has to be consumed the same day it should not be used the next day.) Cumin is of benefit to the heart and uterus and is given to women after childbirth to increase breast milk. Cumin seeds contain good amounts of protein, fat, carbohydrates,fibre, calcium, iron and phosphorous. Externally it can be used in liniments for stimulating circulation and bringing warmth to the area.

Turmeric (haldi)- Used mainly for its medicinal healing properties, and lovely color that it gives to the dishes. They say ‘a pinch of turmeric’ disinfects any food.

Coriander seeds (dhaniya)- Used mainly for its fresh,soothing taste. It is supposed to cool the system thus helping it to function properly

Mustard seeds (black)- Used mainly in South and West India instead or along with cumin seeds. Used for its strong but very pleasing flavor. Good for digesting foods.

Fenugreek (methi) - A basic Indian spice which is actually a lentil. Used throughout India - both in North and South Cooking. Used for its strong, bitter taste. Used for its bitter taste and wonderful healthful properties. Besides turmeric it is the most medically useful item in the Indian kitchen. Useful in inflamatory disorders, joint pains & in Diabetes

Garlic (lahsun) - A basic Indian seasoning. Used in North and South India. Used for its strong and satisfying flavor. One of the essential seasoning in Indian wet masala or an herbal concoction added to curries Garlic is also believed to have many health benefits and first aid applications like being good for the heart.

#112477 - 11/14/07 01:44 PM Re: Spicy India [Re: Kononov59]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
They say ‘a pinch of turmeric’ disinfects any food.

I'm not sure about the efficacy of some of your other cures, but this sounds like bad advice.

#112478 - 11/14/07 01:47 PM Re: Spicy India [Re: norad45]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Dont forget the curry!

#112479 - 11/14/07 01:53 PM Re: Spicy India [Re: el_diabl0]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
Dont forget the curry!

You got that right. My paternal grandfather served in the British Army in India before coming to the States. He acquired a taste for curry which continues in our family today. My favorite hunting camp dinner is curried elk over rice and vegetables--the spicier the better. My mother is always kind enough to whip up a gallon for me! blush laugh grin

#112489 - 11/14/07 04:18 PM Re: Spicy India [Re: NightHiker]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: norad45
Quote:
They say ‘a pinch of turmeric’ disinfects any food.

I'm not sure about the efficacy of some of your other cures, but this sounds like bad advice.

I don't know if I'd want to completely rely on my cooking supplies but historically spices have been used to help make food edible as well as palatable. The Mongols (or the Tartars, I can't remember which) would eat meat in "any condition they found it" as long as garlic was added to it. They believed that the garlic would cure the meat of any "impurities."

I wonder how many of them died from botulism or salmonella..... sick

#112519 - 11/14/07 07:09 PM Re: Spicy India [Re: NightHiker]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Maybe seafood is an exception. sick sick sick grin

#112525 - 11/14/07 08:13 PM Re: Spicy India [Re: NightHiker]
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
Try googling 'exploding whale'

Better yet, try 'goodsearching' exploding whale; free money for ETS

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.