Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#111431 - 11/05/07 02:08 AM I finally got to go camping,,sort of...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Unlike the backpacking trip that I've been wanting to take my nephew on, we ended up going to a camp on one of the "Old Rivers" that have previously been the Mississippi River prior to one of the last changes. No, I don't care to get into the "why" of this change in plans.

We did get to try making a fire from a magnesium fire starter and no, we didn't get a fire without help from "flicking my Bic"! That WAS an eye opener although I still feel that we could get a fire going if we had to. Yes,, we will practice more until we master the technique!

We also got some practical testing done with 2 BoB's, 1 Backpacking (ALICE), and 2 Day Hiking packs that I recently put together. I found that in re-aligning my different packs, I have neglected to include bandannas in my ALICE pack/gear that I use for backpacking.

I have also found that I forgot to get Triple Anti-Biotic Ointment in all three pack FAK's.

I did get to give some good training to my nephew on all of the survival equipment except for the signal mirror (I had a senile moment and forgot that item).

Tomorrow, I will purchase what is needed & get all 3/2 packs ready for use.

I have decided that the food stocks that I have been keeping in my BoB should be adequate for the use I would have to put it to, if I ever need it (hiking from my boat from as far North as Evansville, Ind or as far west as Corpus Christi, Tx to my home 20). No, I don't think that 10 days rations and 24 water purification tablets are sufficient but they should buy me the time to get to safer locations to purify (straining & boiling) water and procure prepared (MRE's, C-Rats) or more of the longer cooking types (Rice, dried beans/peas, etc) of foods. This would be time I would use to lay up, prepare food & water, heal up a little bit, etc; before making another 2 or 3 day push towards home.

I will once again go through all of my packs and start removing items that I didn't use this weekend (and would probably never use) as well as more of the redundant items (no, I'm keeping all of my bics) but I will drop electrical tape, piggin string, Zippo lighter, lighter fluid, etc.

The next camping trip opportunity will be a backpacking trip!!

#111478 - 11/05/07 02:08 PM Re: I finally got to go camping,,sort of... [Re: wildman800]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Regarding using the magnesium fire starter: What were you trying to light (besides the magnesium)?

In my own mind I KNOW that my sparker is only a backup to my lighter (which is refillable and always checked before heading out). If all heck breaks loose and I'm not doing well I'd much rather use the lighter than the sparker. BTW, I use the Vaseline-impregnated cotton balls and find they ignite rather easily if "rolled" inside out. I actually find the Sparklite easier to light with than my Magfire, since the Sparklite stays in one spot while sparking. Still, although I always carry the Magfire rod since it will last a lot longer when practicing.

Regarding forgetting the signal mirror: You might consider carrying a compass with a mirrored sighting system (assuming you carry a compass). They are more expensive and larger than some other compasses, but the mirror makes a great signal mirror. I'll heartily recommend the newer style (with a red bezel) Brunton 15TDCL, which is the original beloved Silva Sweden AG ranger-style compass.

By the way, mirrored compasses are also somewhat easier to use with a map since the cover, when flipped open a full 180 degrees, makes the compass much longer and therefore easier to align with your route and/or the map's edge (depending on what you're doing).

What is "piggin string"???

#111482 - 11/05/07 02:25 PM Re: I finally got to go camping,,sort of... [Re: KenK]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think we will try the PJ cottonballs on our next trip. I didn't forget to bring our signal mirrors (or other gear), I forgot to give my nephew some instruction on the use of a signal mirror.

We tried igniting toilet paper, magnesium, and a lighter starter soaked charcoal.

We don't forget compasses (ever), or charts, or any other survival gear. I counted the compasses up & there were a total of 5 compasses of 3 different types.

Piggin string are miscellaneous pieces of leather lacing, long shoestrings, 550 (or smaller) lengths of paracord, etc.

#111497 - 11/05/07 05:15 PM Re: I finally got to go camping,,sort of... [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wildman,

Sounds like you had some good learning experiences. What method of cooking (type of food/type of heat-source) did you use? What water carriers? Did you purify any water or did you just bring all your water? What type of shelter did you use?

I spent Saturday night sleeping on a sandbar. It was absolutely perfect except that nothing challenging occured. Oh well. If you ever have time while in Houston I'll take you for an overnighter at my favorite spot!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#111505 - 11/05/07 05:58 PM Re: I finally got to go camping,,sort of... [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We were in a proper building with a working full bath, 2 bedrooms, satellite TV and a stereo. The roughing it part was that the kitchen had no stove. There was a microwave and toaster oven. A gas BBQ pit with a regular burner, and a couple of regular charcoal BBQ pits. That's why I titled this with a "sorta".

This place had running parish water. We did bring our packs, filled canteens, etc. (I'm still at DefCon 2)

We cooked with the microwave (boiling water and heating little rudy sausage biscuits. Everything else was cooked on the charcoal pit.

Your camping last Saturday was 1 of the 2 methods that I had in mind. If I get an overnighter in Houston, I'll call you since I have my BoB with me at all times and can use it to get there.

We had a good time and I learned a new jingle:

"When the wind is from the East, Fish bite the least,
When the wind is from the West, Fish bite the best!"

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 472 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.