Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#110557 - 10/29/07 04:56 PM The wonders of Pine
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
This weekend was opening of Muzzleloader season here in Ok and I was of course in the woods. There are pine trees everywhere in all stages of growth and as I sat waiting on my 8 point buck to come along, I know that Les and Baer use the pine branches to make shelters and beds and the sap is a great fire starter, but there are other uses.

We cooked several items in a dutch oven and my hunting buddy asked how should we remove the coals from the top to avoid getting it in the food. I reached up grabbed a branch and swept off the tops.

Later, some dishes were dirty and the food was being stubborn..again I went to the pine, grabbed a hand full of needles and they made an excellent pot scrubber.

To ensure my clothes stayed fresh, I took some pine and shoved it in a bag with my clothes, and then before heading out...I rubbed the needles all over me...leaves behind a nice pine scent.

Got the 8 point by the way. smile

Amazing...and that's just one tree. Now if you could just cook over the wood.

#110571 - 10/29/07 06:11 PM Re: The wonders of Pine [Re: Hghvlocity]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Hghvlocity,

Congradulations on getting your buck, I am packing right now to go deer hunting at my camp next week. My son is an Apprentice Hunter (14 years old) which means that we use one firearm and he does the shooting, Dad does the instructing/supervising. It has worked out great as a training and father/son bonding technique over the past 2 years.

I have another use for pine boughs. When I hunt moose out of my wall tent camp we heat it with a small tin wood with a 5" chimney pipe. When the stove is rocking in the evening it can get so hot in the tent that you have to strip down to your shorts, but let the fire go out and it gets cold in a hurry. The wood be burn in the stove is just scrap left over from logging and often it is not the best, producing a lot of soot and cresote. One night it plugged the spark arrestor and filled the tent with smoke, the smoke alarm woke us up. Now when soot starts to build up we take down the 3 pieces of pipe and run a bushy pine bough through them a couple of times, it cleans them very well.

Mike

#110572 - 10/29/07 06:29 PM Re: The wonders of Pine [Re: SwampDonkey]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Now that we have extolled the virtues of pine, can someone tell me a good way to get pine pitch off of my tent/clothes/pack in the field? Goo Gone works, but I usually keep the solvents at home.

#110578 - 10/29/07 07:42 PM Re: The wonders of Pine [Re: Katie]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Sometimes peanut butter or mayo.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.