Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
Just curious, how many enjoy camping?

I went this past weekend in Wisconsin.

1st night - 30 Degrees
2nd night - 41 Degrees
3rd night - 54 Degrees

Tent: 3 of us in a 10 x 10 Coleman Sundome.

I have a 20 or so year old Coleman sleeping bag. Nothing on the tags show what 'model' it is. But its rectangle. I was cold for about the 1st 5 minutes but sleep well all 3 nights.

My goal is to find products that can be enjoyed for both a general tent camping experience and for my future endeavor of backpacking.

I always like to go 'lightweight'. I had the freedom Micro light and it was the best thing. Had the clip and attached to my cap. Other 2 guys wanted that.

But, don't need a backpacking stove. What recommendations would you folks give for a stove? I heard the Coleman stuff isn't great anymore since its made in China.

#106606 - 09/22/07 12:23 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
"vintage" Coleman stuff can be found at yard sales for a song and replacement parts are available for them. I've got a bunch of old stoves and lanterns that are still running strong after 30+ years.

#106608 - 09/22/07 12:37 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: desertrat1]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I love to camp and hike, as a matter of fact we are going the first weekend in Oct for 4 days to the Allegheny National Forest, man I can't wait, I love it up there.

I have a Coleman Peak 1 Butane Backpacking Micro Stove and also the Coleman Peak 1 Butane Backpacking Micro Lantern for when I go lite, when I take the trailer I have full size Coleman duel fuel stove and lantern, all of them work fine, never had any problems with any of them. Their not the old Coleman either maybe 5 yrs old on the full size ones and 2 or 3 for the backpacking models. I also bought one of those Rock River LED Lanterns at Target, Its awesome, good price and well made, doesn't weigh a lot either and throws a lot of light for such a small lantern, I think its putting out 3 watts. I was always curious as to how well those light weight sleeping bags keep your warm, the ones that fit in a small compression sack that will fit in the palm of your hand, I saw them in the Brigade Quartermaster catalog.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (09/22/07 12:38 AM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106609 - 09/22/07 12:42 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I love backpacking and camping too. For a backpacking stove I like my Swedish army trianga burner coupled with a lightweight cookset. For car camping with the wife and kids I use a two-burner Coleman stove converted over to propane.

*sigh* 30 degrees at night? That sounds really nice (being here in Texas).

-Mark
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106612 - 09/22/07 01:15 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: Blast]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I'm going camping tomorrow for the last time this season, most campgrounds close on October 1st here in Québec.

It's going to be the first time I actually go camping that late in the summer (actually fall begins today <sigh>). They are forecasting surprisingly warm low's for this period of the year : 60F/15C.

I'm taking my Columbia Mt. Bachelor tent (3-person) and will unfortunately leave my Seedhouse SL2 at home (too small for two person). I'll be sleeping on a 2" Eureka! self-inflating pad and using a MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop, a canadian retailer) 20 degree down sleeping bag.

For lighting, it's going to be my brand new (lol) 1983 Coleman single-mantle lantern. I'm taking a silnylon tarp with me to rig something up in case it starts to rain. Chatting with a glass of wine next to a campfire is an absolute necessity, it's actually the main purpose of the trip if you ask me. We haven't planned anything at all for food except for three freeze-dried Mountain House pouches for use with my MSR Windpro canister stove. I'm using "GSI Hard Anodized Extreme" pots, which are absolutely perfect IMO. Also taking my Primus Litech kettle in case we end up only boiling water.

I'm taking an empty medium-size Coleman cooler as well. We'll buy some ice and drinks on the way down there. Clothes will be placed in a basic duffle bag. Gore-tex rainshell, fleece jacket, merino wool socks... FAK, toiletries and other goodies will ride in this bag as well.

Off to fill up my Coleman lantern with fresh white gas... have a great weekend! wink

#106613 - 09/22/07 01:21 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: ]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I do a lot of lightweight camping. Park the car at in the Hunters lots scattered around The Ocala National Forest and just walk into the forest for a day or two and camp. By nature I like to camp light because I hate carrying crapola. So I use this odd little pocket stove I found in an Army/Navy Store. It's basically a metal plate with fold out little supports for a pot. You stick those Solid Sterno half inch by half inch fuel bricks and it works great.

Those are called Esbit stoves as well. Esbit fuel tabs can be stored inside it and then burned 2-3 at a time with the pot on top as well. I also have make shifted a fuel source by making a shallow bowl with aluminum foil, putting some toilet paper in there, and soaking with alcohol before lighting it.

#106711 - 09/23/07 08:40 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: eric_2003]
neus_bloeier Offline
Stranger

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I enjoy camping though I haven't done it for ages.
Building A-frames is a fun way to enjoy it.

If it's raining though It can get a tad "icky" so I always checked the weather forecasts.

Originally Posted By: Blast
For a backpacking stove I like my Swedish army trianga burner coupled with a lightweight cookset.

-Mark

Trangias still haunt me from the Year Eight Camp. Oh it was hell.
I had to carry them all, for a group of 40 people. It was banging and clanging......euwwww! it's frightening.z-|

Instead i now just use a hexy.

Edited by neus_bloeier (09/23/07 08:47 AM)

#106716 - 09/23/07 11:10 AM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I was always curious as to how well those light weight sleeping bags keep your warm, the ones that fit in a small compression sack that will fit in the palm of your hand, I saw them in the Brigade Quartermaster catalog.

Is this the sleeping bag your thinking about

For some reviews - http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Snugpak%20Softie%203%20Merlin/

Its a top quality synthetic sleeping bag.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/23/07 11:10 AM)

#106748 - 09/23/07 06:09 PM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Equipped4Chicago
. . . What recommendations would you folks give for a stove? . . .
In my Camelback Rim Runner I keep a MSR Pocket Rocket in its triangular case and a fuel cannister in a Titanium pot. You might also check out the MSR Superfly, but I think the PR packs smaller.

#107234 - 09/28/07 01:57 PM Re: Camping/Backpacking [Re: Russ]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

We have camped at least once in every month of the year over the past 6 years here in the Pacific Northwest.

We remote camp via 4x4 with our little ones.

The tent is a 9x12 Heritage Weathermaster by Coleman because:
it stands up in the wind
it takes only one person to set it up (in under 5 minutes if you're moving)
I can get dressed standing up and not on my knees
and the whole family fits

As for sleeping bags we love and trust the Sumberjack sleeping bags. We went with the Woodsman series and got the Big Timber -20. (they sell a -40 too). We like the rectangular bags because they can be zipped together. This is a huge deal when family camping as sometimes the really little ones have a hard time sleeping in their own bag. They are larger bags but the flannel lining is great when the temp dips down at night. I don't plan to be out when it is below zero but the extra warmth is comforting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.