Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104409 - 09/03/07 02:50 PM Supplements for Knee Pain
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Folks,

I have had bad knees since I was a teenager (many years ago), I have gone the orthoscopic surgery, Cortozone treatment, knee brace and orthotics route but find that the pain is now bad/constant enough to limit my outdoor adventures and field work performance.

I think the problems may be hereditary to a degree as both my father and grandfather have/had severe knee problems.

My question is about supplements proported to relieve joint pain namely; Glucosamine, Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) and Chondroitin.

Do any forum members have experience with these supplements or any other joint remedies (e.g. exercises, therapy, surgery, chiropractor)?

Thanks,

MIKE

#104417 - 09/03/07 04:03 PM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: SwampDonkey]
mark161 Offline
Diver

Loc: US
Mike,

I have been using them for over a year now. I also have knee and joint pain because of injuries and hereditary. They do work and pretty good. It just takes about three to four weeks for them to kick in but when it does you notice a difference. I ran out and never got them filled for a couple of weeks and I could tell right away. The main ones I use is Glucosamne and Chondroitin. If you go to a medical supply company you can get a triple strengh formula that includes both in one pill. This lets you only take one to two pills a day and not four to six, and if your like me and have to take other pills this helps alot. smile

Hope this helped,

Mark

#104434 - 09/03/07 06:14 PM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: mark161]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

www.biofreeze.com

they give out out at my swim things. it works like a charm on my shoulder.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#104460 - 09/03/07 10:25 PM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: climberslacker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Look closely at your footwear and what your doing. If your shoes wear irregularly and/or they don't offer proper support they could be the origin or contribute to the problem. If your abusing your knees on a maladjusted bike or in certain tasks this too could put excessive stress on your knees. In either case you need to correct these problems before worrying about anything else.

All the therapy, aids and nutritional support in the world can't make up for regular abuse of the joints.

A friend who had a bad back and knees had seemingly tried everything. Nothing worked until he visited a orthopedist who was savvy enough to notice that he walked with a very bow-legged stance. His stance wore out the soles of his shoes and the worn shoes made the problem worse. He was always out of alignment.

A few weeks training by a physical therapist, to help align his gait, new supportive shoes and orthotic insoles all worked together to correct his gait. Once it was made more normal his knee and back problems disappeared.

Glucosamine, Chondroiten and MSM may help to speed healing but you have to find and correct the root cause of the problem before the healing can make any long-term progress.

If MSM seems to work by limiting inflammation you might get even better results by using horse liniment, DMSO, Di-methylsulfoxide. Both compounds are related. DMSO is available at many feed stores. The down side is that it is a transfer agent that will carry most organic chemicals through the skin so make sure your hands and skin are clean before using it. It smells like aquarium water and imparts a garlic smell to the breath so it isn't very pleasant stuff. That said I know of nothing better for inflammation.

#104461 - 09/03/07 10:26 PM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: climberslacker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I take straight Glucosamine (2 1000mg a day). As Mark said, they take a month or so to kick in (some people say 6 wks). And yes, if you run out, you know it.

When my mother was alive, I asked her doctor about using it for her arthritis (she was on about 10 meds) and the doctor said it was perfectly safe to use with her meds.

An acquaintance who has rheumatoid arthritis also uses the straight Glucosamine. She said she used the GC first, then could only get the Glucosamine (she lives way out in the Canadian boondocks), and didn't notice a difference except for price.

I don't know about the GMC combo.

Sue

#104512 - 09/04/07 01:53 AM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My dad had bad knees, he took MSM and thought it might have helped a little bit. Then he had some injections that actually had gold in them (and cost like gold), but he died before he could find out if they helped or not...

#104540 - 09/04/07 08:05 AM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LED Offline
Veteran

I agree with Art, starting with your foot support to gain proper alignment is essential. I highly recommend Superfeet or Spenco inserts. The primary things you can do to take unecessary pressure off your knees is alignment (starting with the feet), muscle conditioning, and stretching. The weaker the knee the more muscle conditioning and flexibility is needed. Stretching your hamstrings, lower back, calves, piriformis (rear-end) muscle, and also very important, abdominal muscle conditioning. It may not be obvious, but a tight lower back or unconditioned abdominal can put lots of unnecessary strain on your knees. A good osteopath can really help you develop some stretching/exercise routines. This coming from someone who learned all this the hard way. Good luck.

#104541 - 09/04/07 08:57 AM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: LED]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Don't buy cheap shoes

Start Ibuprofen to reduce inflammation

Start glucosamine/choindroitin. This stuff, for whatever reason, is magical. Don't be cheap. Get on at least a two month regimen and see if this is for you.

#104543 - 09/04/07 09:22 AM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: xavier01]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I have to concur with the previous posts regarding glucosamine / MSM. I take both in a single tablet 2x a day. I have knee pain from old injuries and old age wear and tear (52 y.o.) and they make a noticeable improvement. They helped allow me to climb Mt. Washington in New Hampshire with our scout troop. This is the highest peak in the north east and no easy task.

As a side note, I have read that glucosamine and chondroitin are almost the same substance, one is just one step further along the decomposition process so taking both together is redundant.

#104545 - 09/04/07 10:45 AM Re: Supplements for Knee Pain [Re: SwampDonkey]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
blew out my knees a few years ago and had trouble getting around without pain. Now I use Glucosamine, and Chondroitin. I have tried different brnd name and didn't notice a differance. I do however notice when I forget to take them. If you have Knee pains and you know it's not an alignment problem or anything like that I recommend Glucosamine, and Chondroitin they keep me going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 331 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.