Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#103045 - 08/20/07 04:03 AM So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There suddenly seems to be a lot of water in Oklahoma. I guess it isn't just the individuals who have problems with reality.

From http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/08/19/oklahoma.flooding/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

'...Residents of nearby Apache, Oklahoma, faced similar floods, which caught most people off guard, said Lt. Bobby Claborne of the Apache Fire Department. "We never thought we'd have a tropical storm in our area," he said. No evacuation plans were initiated until early Sunday, "but it was a little late" by then, he said.'

If only 7% of individuals have made some disaster preparations, I wonder what percentage of local governments have done so?

Sue

#103049 - 08/20/07 06:23 AM Re: So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared? [Re: Susan]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Well it was very interesting 24 hrs ago. I am up again, at work, and all is quiet compaired to the rain last night.

Most all vehicle rescues were conducted by the fire department due to their ability to drive tall heavy trucks right up to a car and pull everyone out.

Why people were out driving at 3-4 am is beyond me in the first place.

I was happy I could have walked home from work, if I had too, it's a short walk. I think we had more than 7 inches of rain fall really fast...........................

I am in the central part of the state not seen on TV...............

It was like a hurricane type storm. Then again we are use to lots of wind, just not the amount of rain.....

Edited by CentralOklahoma (08/20/07 06:24 AM)

#103055 - 08/20/07 11:44 AM Re: So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared? [Re: CentralOklahoma]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Why people were out driving at 3-4 am is beyond me..."

Heading home from the bars???

#103057 - 08/20/07 12:06 PM Re: So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I drove a cab right out of college and that was when I would go to work.

#103093 - 08/20/07 07:56 PM Re: So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared? [Re: Susan]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hey Sue,

I think there are at least two definitions of "preparedness" that would apply to local governments.

1) Policies and protocols written addressing disaster preparedness.

---- I suspect there is a fair number of municipalities that have "something" on the books that would qualify as a "plan" to make them eligible for some kind of federal or state grant. But it's only on paper.

2) Policies and protocols with actual human mechanisms in place/equipped/rehersed and redundant chains of commands in place and practiced.

---- I doubt anybody really has that done on a municipality level although I'm proud to say Baton Rouge is making some impressive progress toward it.

Katrina gave us a good kick in the gonads and the pain is still clear enough in our memories to make us want to avoid that experience again.

Some businesses (chem plants, hospitals, etc) and smaller entities (school systems, etc) would have that in place to one degree or another.

It pretty much goes back to the neighborhood/family/individual level to be prepared.

After Katrina I was impressed with my wife's church and how they responded to the needs.

It was the small local groups that had any initial effectiveness in dealing with the aftermath.

We evolved in small tribes, we survive in small tribes. No one survives alone for long.

#103145 - 08/21/07 01:33 AM Re: So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared? [Re: samhain]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"It was the small local groups that had any initial effectiveness in dealing with the aftermath."

Isn't it usually? And not just with disasters, etc. No matter what needs to be done, there are usually just a few people who have the initiative and know-how to actually get something accomplished. The others just stand around waiting for someone to take care of them, and complaining that nothing is being done fast enough.

Sue

#103229 - 08/21/07 10:28 PM Re: So How Many of the Communities Are Prepared? [Re: Susan]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Isn't it usually? And not just with disasters, etc. No matter what needs to be done, there are usually just a few people who have the initiative and know-how to actually get something accomplished. The others just stand around waiting for someone to take care of them, and complaining that nothing is being done fast enough.

True.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead
US anthropologist & popularizer of anthropology (1901 - 1978)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.