Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100428 - 07/22/07 11:46 AM Help in preparing for canada??
Reddave Offline
Journeyman

Long term contracts coming up in Alberta Canada, Good rates of pay with accommodation paid for. If you dont like the cold dont apply!!
In september there is work for me, but how cold is cold and what is the best kit to get for keeping warm when working in the petro-chemical industry? Best to buy it here in UK or over there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also if any canadians know of accomodation sites for that area that would be great too.

#100439 - 07/22/07 02:15 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess how cold will depend on what part (as in how far north) of Alberta you are talking about. The farther north you go usually equals colder temps. As for where to buy, I am just guessing here, but I would suspect that buying once you get there would be the best, local stores probably know what works best for their area. Plus you don't have the hassle of shiping. On the other hand, by Sept the stores might have already sold most of the good stuff. Decisions decisions.

Have fun!!!

#100445 - 07/22/07 02:31 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I've spent time in Calgary and Red Deer with the petro business. It gets COLD up there (and Edmonton can be even colder). Worst I saw was around -10 C but it can get much colder. Occasionally in the midlle of winter you'll get a Chinook wind that will warm things up above freezing, then the temps will plunge down again.

Will you be working in the field or indoors? Either way you'll want the warmest stuff you can find. I reccomend buying it in Canada because they'll be selling stuff good enough to protect you, you'll be able to try it on (versus buying on-line) and you won't have to risk losing it to some sticky-fingered baggage handler.

On other note, old field hands up there reccomended I stay away from cheap plasticy materials as when it gets really, really cold these materials turn brittle and break. They prefer leather, ventile or other stuff like that. Expensive, but worth it.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#100450 - 07/22/07 02:42 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
By local. Then you'll be able to ask the folks who've been up there what they recommend. Always ask the locals- they'll either tell it to you straight, or be messing with you, so ask several locals. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100464 - 07/22/07 08:01 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Gortex, Ventile and wool. Synthetics are ineffective below -17c. I suggest that you have a serious look at what Ray Mears has written on the subject. He spends a lot of time in those conditions.

#100480 - 07/23/07 01:19 AM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Outermost layer needs to be flame resistant. Stay away from anything nylon as they have a tendency to burn when hit with the flame, slag or sparks.

Carhartt Black Bibs and Jacket – Pretty flame resistant if you’re cutting or welding. Personally I like the Jacket and Bibs better than the jumpsuits due to ease of getting in and out of them (for break) and don’t seem to restrict movement

Layer as necessary - I like the Underarmor Cold as a base layer with wool as a second

Boots – Mickey Mouse or Sorrells

#100481 - 07/23/07 01:21 AM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Synthetics are ineffective below -17c.

Really? I'm glad no one has told my synthetic shelled, synthetic filled sleeping bags this- I've used them nested down to about -30F (about -35C) and been very comfortable while wearing a pair of synthetic long johns. Although my watch cap and socks were wool- maybe they alone kept me warm.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100486 - 07/23/07 01:59 AM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm talking more like -40 to -60, when even steel starts becoming brittle.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#100493 - 07/23/07 03:42 AM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess we should have asked by now, what will you be doing in the northland? Sitting in an office 7.5 hours a day, with a short venture into the fields, or working a ten hour graveyard shift as a derrick man on a drilling rig? That will make a big difference in what you need...

#100495 - 07/23/07 04:05 AM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, I give up and bug in around 40 below. In winter, I camp on land that includes a family owned hunting camp, becuase my car won't start when it is that cold. :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.