Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#100646 - 07/24/07 04:41 PM Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

TO LIVE up to his public image of a rugged, ex-SAS adventurer, it must have seemed essential for Bear Grylls to appear at ease sleeping rough and catching his own food in his television survival series.

But it has emerged that Grylls, 33, was enjoying a far more conventional form of comfort, retreating some nights from filming in mountains and on desert islands to nearby lodges and hotels.

Now Channel 4 has launched an investigation into whether Grylls, who has conquered Everest and the Arctic, deceived the public in his series Born Survivor.

The series, screened in March and April and watched by 1.4m viewers, built up Grylls’s credentials as a tough outdoorsman. In a question and answer session on Channel 4’s website, he recalls how station bosses pitched the venture to him stating: “We just drop you into a lot of different hellholes equipped with nothing, and you do what you have to do to survive.”

But an adviser to Born Survivor has disclosed that at one location where the adventurer claimed to be a “real life Robin-son Crusoe” trapped on “a desert island”, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and spent nights at a motel.

#100647 - 07/24/07 04:46 PM Re: Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels [Re: MartinFocazio]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

TO LIVE up to his public image of a rugged, ex-SAS adventurer, it must have seemed essential for Bear Grylls to appear at ease sleeping rough and catching his own food in his television survival series.

But it has emerged that Grylls, 33, was enjoying a far more conventional form of comfort, retreating some nights from filming in mountains and on desert islands to nearby lodges and hotels.

And I thought Bear's survival advice was totally impractical! Seeking the best available shelter and stocking up on local food sources - now that's what I call survival skills!

Frank2135

Edited by Frank2135 (07/24/07 04:48 PM)

#100664 - 07/24/07 06:30 PM Re: Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels [Re: Frank2135]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How does one 'conquer' Everest? The mountain is littered with discarded mountaineering equipment( and a growing mortuary complex of cast off mountaineers) who's main credentials are enough money. And the Antarctic? Well excuse me, my purty service medal with the colours reversed to the sister medal for arctic service is worth maybe $20 tops on EBAY. Anyway, I've got to get back to my collaboration with Ragnar on the Mors Kochanski signed Mora.I hope people appreciate my effort scrounging up an old woodburning kit and duplicating Mors' signature on those damned red handles.

#100700 - 07/25/07 12:02 AM Re: Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels [Re: Frank2135]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Originally Posted By: Frank2135
And I thought Bear's survival advice was totally impractical! Seeking the best available shelter and stocking up on local food sources - now that's what I call survival skills!
Frank2135

HAHA! Too True!

#100735 - 07/25/07 01:31 PM Re: Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
How in the world did this guy become so "important" to us that he gets two separate threads about his hotel usage? Sheese...

#100836 - 07/26/07 12:02 PM Re: Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels [Re: OldBaldGuy]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
OBG, just because he's talked about a lot doesn't mean he's important, it just means he's well known and a popular topic of conversation.

I've been defending Bear and some of the crazy chances he takes during the show, because it's just a show and not meant as a serious survival education tool. But if Bear is indeed going back to a hotel at any point DURING the course of his supposed stranding, that would be beyond the pale.

On the other hand, I wonder if it's possible that some folks have gotten a little confused about when he stays in a hotel; he's never made any secret of the fact that he stays in a hotel for a few nights BEFORE filming, and goes back to the hotel AFTER filming. I wonder if he sometimes goes back out to the location for re-shoots after the actual trip? This wouldn't bother me, so long as the actual trip was contiguous and uninterrupted.

#100845 - 07/26/07 01:52 PM Re: Bear Grylls Stays In Hotels [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The two threads is just bad timing. :P

The reason we talk about him is the same reason people who are part of a small community talk about charlatans and bumblers- they make the rest us look bad.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.