Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#98254 - 06/23/07 06:55 PM Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, two weeks worth, or more.

So I am sitting in my office in New York, and my boss broadcasts this email to a bunch of folks that I am heading out to Orlando Florida to help fix some big problems with a project that has lost it's way. Didn't ask me first, just committed me to it.

So now destiny finds me here in Sunny Florida, whiling away in the project office trying to pick up all the pieces from the mess these people made. So it goes.

What did I pack with me? Well, considering the recent posts, I busted open one of my boxes of of my Robert Timms single serving coffee bags and grabbed a handful. I also grabbed a bunch of these zipfizz powdered drink mix thingies I got from Costco that are like B vitamin boosters. The rest is my standard fare, including my super duper butane lighter and my Lord God humongous Swamp Rat knife, just because I can. I found a hotel next to a Gander Mountain Sporting Goods store so tonight I will pick up whatever else I need for the next few weeks. Beyond that, I have a pocket full of plastic, a roll of twenties, and about a week's supply of food and water in reserve at the hotel and the office. I also have my return flight pre-booked. I picked up a Toyota Forerunner so I don't have to stay on the roads here if I don't want/need to.

The only thing missing is my New York Pizza and bagels (sob).

On the other hand, there's a Longhorn BBQ/Steakhouse a block from my hotel room, so it will be prime rib and beer pretty much every night. Yeah, I can handle that I reckon.

I tell you what, the mess they left me here for work is like trying to unravel a ball of yarn that the cat's been playing with for a week. Sure is a mess. I just start at one end and undo the knots as they come. Gonna be a while I think...

#98255 - 06/23/07 07:03 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: benjammin]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Good job making the best of work travel. I do a lot of it myself and the little treats are what keep me sane.

Good idea about the Forerunner as a rental BOV.

There is great fishing in Florida if you have some time.

Edited by billym (06/23/07 07:04 PM)

#98257 - 06/23/07 07:10 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: billym]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Pretty near no time. I am working through the weekends to meet their stupid deadline. About all I can do is maybe go see a movie at night or some such.

That's okay, that's what they pay me for.

#98258 - 06/23/07 07:44 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hurricane season, keep the tank above 3/4. If you need to bug out you can get gas in GA. That pre-booked flight is only good if the airline is still flying. Gander Mountain. . . cool cool

#98259 - 06/23/07 07:54 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: Russ]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I love me some Gander Mountain...

#98298 - 06/24/07 01:23 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: benjammin]
scaatylobo Offline
stranger

I too miss the NY bagels and Pizza,having left the rotten apple 35 years ago.When I do venture there I am a little nervous as it would be a real [censored] to bug out of there.I travel well healed but that wouldnt help if I had to walk home [ western NY ].So I can appreciate you mental condition away form you home.Keep an eye and ear to the news and be the firstirst if the 'manure hits the ventilation system' !.

#98299 - 06/24/07 01:41 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: scaatylobo]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, and no real worries yet. It looks like the mid-Atlantic isn't firing up for a bit, though I know that can change in a day.

Gander Mountain was therapeutic. I haven't been in something like that for quite a while, so I spent about 3 hours just wandering around, looking at stuff, asking a few questions and such. It was quite enjoyable.

But now, back to work. Oh well.

#98313 - 06/24/07 06:57 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: benjammin]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Benjammin, if you can manage to run away for a little while there is a knife store near you going out of business. It's about 15 minutes from lake mary. The store is Knives a Lot, its on 436 just off of 17-92. I'm sure that doesn't help you much so here is the address and phone,

1460 SR 436 Altomonte Springs, FL 32701
Phone 407.261.0551

He will be open tuesday thru saturday, with saturday being the last day of being open for business. He still has some benchmade, chris reeve, and other notable brands in stock. Don't know that the chris reeve knives will go for much of a discount but there are some good prices on the other stuff. Picked up a 550 benchmade griptilian for $50 plus tax. I'm sure that you could manage to make that roll of $20's shrink in size a bit.

And you only managed to spend 3 hours in gander mountain, were you in a hurry?

Still early in the season for a huricane so don't worry too much about it, just watch out for the afternoon thunder storms.

#98645 - 06/28/07 01:25 PM Re: Another "Paint Your Wagon" moment [Re: RayW]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the info. I will try and get down there if work allows. I have a number of knife orders in process right now, so it will be a challenge to find another one to drop dime on, but you never know.

Gotta head back to NYC tomorrow, so it will be now or never I suppose. Maybe I can sneak away this afternoon.

It's been crazy insane work here this week.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.