Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94511 - 05/13/07 02:21 AM PVC questions
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Maybe this belongs in the long term section, dunno...

I'm thinking about setting up a stash of PVC pipe and fittings at my folks. Realistically, about the hardest thing I can think of to make that we would really miss is pipe. I've also been inspired by Wildman's food tube, so I've got a few designs in my head for things like a jumbo match case.

But I've never worked with the stuff.

Do I need the primer, or can I get by with just the glue? The fewer things I have to store, the better.

Do the glue and primer get funky if they are allowed to freeze? Where I have in mind to store this isn't climate controlled.

And I've been toying with a screw-in inspection plug and fitting that I picked up the other day, and it leaks. It's also reached the point where I want pliers to get it off sometimes. I know it isn't this complicated, and they aren't supposed to leak. What am I doing wrong? For a match case, this is kinda critical.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#94512 - 05/13/07 02:34 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: ironraven]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I have tried using 3/4 pvc pipe for a large match case and a Sheriff's deputy friend of mine just about had a fit that I was putting strike anywhere matches inside a pipe.

It did work very well though.

#94513 - 05/13/07 02:56 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I use the primer along with the glue.

The food tube is a 4"x2' length of PVC pipe that has the flat cap on one end (there are flat bottomed and the curved caps) and a sewage access (threaded) plug on the other end.

The threaded cap can take some significant hand grip and strength to screw in tightly and to unscrew it. You might try cutting a rubber gasket to place inside the access port. That would provide a better seal and should require less effort to seal and unseal the fitting.

I used some stout wire ties at each end (wrapped around each end just inboard of the two caps) along with "easy links" to attach a shoulder strap.

I roll the food tube inside of my sleeping pad and then secure that at the bottom of my ALICE pack,,,or I can carry it as a single piece of gear, using the shoulder strap.

#94514 - 05/13/07 03:02 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The primer is good. I have glued a bunch of joints without it, and had one fail from time to time. Can't help you with the freezing part, sorry. All of the screw in pvc fittings seem to be hard to open/close sometimes, good reason to keep a multi-tool around. As for the leaking, that shouldn't be happening. Did you have it screwed in all the way? Putting some pvc tape on the threads might help with the waterproofness, and might even help with the ease of opening/closing. One thing to keep in mind: no matter what they claim, pvc is not really UV protected, at least not the usual schedule 40 stuff. It gets brittle with time. So if you start to build up a stash, I would recommend storing it out of the sun...

#94517 - 05/13/07 03:17 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thanks guys.

I'm using 2" for this experiment, and they have a 1" square on them. I haven't tightened it down, not quite- I can't with just my hand, which makes it less desirable for this purpose. frown Maybe I should put a pair of small channel locks and a decent modular screwdriver in BOB....

Why is it every time I get a good idea, I want to put more weight in BOB?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#94518 - 05/13/07 04:23 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
My brother has used a lot of PVC pipe in the high desert, where it's cold and hot.

Primer is good, it makes the adhesive grip better.

Both primer and adhesive (in original containers) can take the cold (freezing) but not heat. Heat makes some part of the contents evaporate, which makes the stuff useless.

Since it can be very difficult to reseal the cans, several smaller cans of primer and adhesive are better than one large one.

PVC isn't very tolerant of UV light, as mentioned above. The easiest way to protect without taking up valuable storage space is to bury it, marking the spot.

Sue

#94526 - 05/13/07 09:22 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: ironraven]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Not exactly what you are asking about but its worth reminding everyone that pvc pipes are very flexible stuff that you can use to make/improvise all kinds of things.

Look at these chairs amde of pvc pipes.

#94527 - 05/13/07 09:48 AM Re: PVC questions [Re: wildman800]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Regarding the food tube

I have read about PVC tubes being used for a buried cache. Some may put in it a survival kit or food ..etc.. In such case I understand the use of tough material like PVC to hold the survival gear underground. However, when you need to carry it with a shoulder strap, the straight hard tube isnt comfortable to carry for a length of distance. A soft duffel bag is much better for that purpose and it can douple as a sleeping pillow.

Am I missing something here ?

#94530 - 05/13/07 12:09 PM Re: PVC questions [Re: Chisel]
Rotncore Offline

Loc: Canada
Just a quick idea, I'm not super familiar with PVC piping, but for the threaded end, if the raised square part is solid, could you not drill a hole through, and insert a dowel/rebar etc for torque, eliminating need for specific tools?

#94535 - 05/13/07 04:30 PM Re: PVC questions [Re: Chisel]
librarian Offline

Loc: Conroe, Texas
PVC continued...A Texas Aggie + idea + PVC = American capitalism!
Go, USA!
http://www.dewiechairs.com/owner.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.