Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#91905 - 04/21/07 01:15 PM Even though I knew better, I still ...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The sea fog is rolling in this morning in Port Arthur, Tx and my dispatcher wanted me to "Light Boat" up to Beaumont, Tx. Seeing the visiblity as it was, and knowing the equipment that I had, I decided to give it a try. After a 1/2 mile, the fog got worse, and I was having trouble determining how fast this little 60 ft boat was swinging. I decided that it was NOT worth my license, or my crew's lives, and came back to the dock to wait for the fog to lift.

It can easily be said that I never should have left the dock in the first place and that "armchair quarterback" would be right. It can also be said that this fog was a lot lighter a mile up the river and they might be right. I went, checked it out, and found it was too dangerous to proceed; so it was time to tuck my tail between my legs and get back to safety.

The wonderful thing about making a decision, if it turns out that some of the premises that the decision was based upon were false; there is usually time to recognize that fact, and do what's needed to correct the error,,,,

If one is paying attention and remembers to be a little humble!

#91947 - 04/22/07 02:16 AM Re: Even though I knew better, I still ... [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wildman,

If the fog down towards Beaumont was anything like the north side of Houston this morning you made a good call. When I woke up this morning I couldn't even see the house across the street! I hadn't seen fog like that in 2-3 years.

How long will you be stationed in Port Arthur?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#92005 - 04/22/07 09:17 PM Re: Even though I knew better, I still ... [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'll be working here until a certain very large Marine Transportation Inc, based in Houston, decides I am needed elsewhere.
I am retired now and this ain't for the love of God and country anymore!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.