Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39050 - 03/18/05 01:26 AM THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Folks -

All these questions about what you can and can't bring on a plane are readily answered right here - http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml

This has the full list, you can print it and bring it with you.

#39051 - 03/18/05 06:02 PM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
Anonymous
Unregistered

This looks good - on the surface. There is one little paragraph near the bottom:
"The prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure everyone's security the screener may determine that an item not on this chart is prohibited."
--means that basically the screeners can still do whatever they feel like and hassle you/violate your civil rights with no restraints whatsoever.

#39052 - 03/18/05 08:33 PM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
You bring up a good point. However, considering how many threads are started asking whether or not a certain item will get through security, this is a great resource people can go to before asking about an item that is clearly banned by the TSA. Anything not on the list you must decide for yourself.

Robert

#39053 - 03/19/05 05:06 AM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Martin, thanks very much for the list, it is very informative.
However, nothing takes the place of asking someone of their experiences with regards to the actions of the TSA and one can not be sure that what passes in one area/airport will or will not pass in another.
Haviing the list is one thing, discussing experiences is something else.
I was stopped at LAX and told to remove my six eyeglass repair kits, as it was prohibited to carry more than one. The list clearly indicates there is no limit applied to this item. Since the item is listed, with no limit to quantity shown, it does not fall under the discretion of the TSA employee, if you take the form at face value.
I use them as handouts for customers wearing eyeglasses and they are usually appreciated, hence having more than one with me.

So, once again, thanks for the list. I sure hope you were not offended by the question being asked about the tripod. Even though it may be covered in general under "Camera Equipement" I could see a TSA grunt saying "No" to a carry-on. If you are stuck in a situation like that with a $200 tripod, it is definitly decision time. A little knowledge ahead of time might help a great deal.
After all, it is a discussion forum.
I will print the list and carry it with me.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

#39054 - 03/21/05 01:46 PM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're missing the point - it DOESN'T MATTER what the "official" list says is or is not allowed - TSA screeners are laws unto themselves and can make up/chage/reinterpret any rule at any time for any reason. The only thing consistent about baggage screening these days is the inconsistency.

Case in point - had to pick my kids up at the airport, and go through the whole ordeal of a strip search just because I had a "gate pass" and wasn't even getting on the plane. I'm resigned to this by now.
In the past they have just noted my name and life history in a log, and I have had to show the gate pass on leaving the security area.
Today, after I had been in the "secured area" for more than 30 minutes, I hear my name over the loudspeaker - I am wanted at the security checkpoint immediately. Even though the kid's plane has landed and they will be disembarking momentarily, I walk the 300 yards back to the checkpoint, where they demand my gate pass. I point out, calmly, that in the past I have been required to produce it on exiting the security area.
The screener said, " I don't care what you were told, give me your gate pass now." When I asked if I would need it to leave the airport, she said, "Just give me the pass, now!" and would not answer the question. I asked to see her supervisor. She threatened to call the police. The supervisor finally appeared, told me to keep the pass, and walked away.
Net result, my kids ended up standing at the ticket counter for 15 minutes wondering where the heck I was.

#39055 - 03/22/05 01:12 AM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
I get the point. I know the TSA screeners seem to be able to do what they want. I'm not talking about the things that aren't on the list. I'm talking about the things that are clearly banned on the list, yet we get countless threads asking about these. Anything that's not on the list is a personal choice. Each person should weigh the risks and benefits of the items they are taking with them on an aircraft. For example: The TSA list allows you to take a round-bladed, butter knife. Do I carry one? No, just because I want to remain low profile and avoid the possibility of being hassled. When traveling, each person needs to look at the TSA list, what they have in their bags, and decide for themselves what they should and should not carry.

Robert

#39056 - 03/22/05 01:54 AM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Yes, but there are also things people are getting away with, but are on the list. The key tool for example. But I agree- if it's on the list, and it doesn't seem likely to get past screeners, don't bother asking.

#39057 - 03/22/05 08:53 AM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
There is inexplicable silliness in some of the logic of securtiy.

I walk with (2) aluminum canes. Each can be used with great effect as an impact weapon and even though they are not pointed and have rubber tips on the bottom, they can be shoved into sensitive parts of the body. The poltential is there even though they are not designed for such use, but a small key chain style kuboton is forbidden because of its designed use.

Bountyhunter

#39058 - 03/31/05 08:20 PM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
There's an old military saying that goes, "If there isn't a regulation ordering you to do it, then it's prohibited."

With the TSA list, if an item is not expressly permitted, it is forbidden. That's the safest route.

#39059 - 04/01/05 02:41 AM Re: THE TSA LIST...THE ONLY LIST YOU NEED
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Craig-

They don't expressly permit clothes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.