Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#25374 - 03/04/04 08:48 PM Keeping Terrorism in perspective
joblot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I have often heard on this forum, how the modern way of life, excludes or denies our children the right to learn how to survive in the wild or even build a fire.
This combined with a never ending stream of terrorist threats have brought the issues of survival to the forefront.
Today I read in my local rag a story of how polititions are branding a scouting book as a "terrorist manual".
I've posted the link below, but heres a little taster:

Does this look like an al-Qaeda manual to you?

"I was a young terrorist, and I had the woggle to prove it. Along with my peers in the Peewit Patrol, we were dispatched into the woods, where we built a camouflaged lean-to in which we spent the night, learned the rudiments of navigation and, in a show of lo-tech wizardry, constructed a working sundial from tent pegs. Geo-positioning it was not, and neither would any of our activities have caused fear and alarm to Her Majesty’s lieges, unless the ghastly flour and water damper we cooked on a stick could be construed as a biochemical weapon. It all seemed harmless, healthy fun. Now it seems the Urtext which inspired our activities has been labelled as a potential terrorist’s handbook.

Last week Robert Marshall-Andrews, a Labour MP and QC, argued that the currently expanded anti-terrorism laws made it a potential offence to be caught carrying Scouting for Boys, Robert Baden-Powell’s seminal manual, a new edition of which has just been published. "

I hope the link works, its subscription based story. If it doesn't, and people show interest I'll copy and paste the lot.
The world gone mad.
http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=251472004

Martin

#25375 - 03/05/04 02:54 PM Re: Keeping Terrorism in perspective
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I'd agree we've gotten totally paranoid. That's what happened following the attack on Pearl Harbor. That's what happend following the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

How the hell can a bunch of enemy pilots fly right into our airspace and bomb our fleet? Because we let them. We didn't know it could happen, so we were unprepared.

Same thing today. How the hell can a group of murderously determined men hijack planes and use them as missles? Because we let them. We didn't know it could happen, so we were unprepared.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.