Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8581 - 08/24/02 08:54 AM ETS forums and Mozilla
Pat_Galea Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Anyone else using Mozilla to browse the ETS forums?<br><br>There seems to be some kind of problem with logging in (i.e. I can't!).<br><br>Internet Explorer works fine still. Shame; the tabbed browsing in Mozilla is great for forums.<br><br>Thanks. pg

#8582 - 08/24/02 09:17 AM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I use Mozilla. Works great. I logged once and now I'm logged automagically thanks to cookies.

#8583 - 08/24/02 09:38 AM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Pat_Galea Offline

Hmm... well, I don't understand!<br><br>The login authentication definitely works; if I use the wrong password, I get the "Incorrect password" screen. If I use the right password, I just get back to the normal forum front page that says "Please register a username".<br><br>And the cookie file hasn't been updated after the login attempt.<br><br>I get the same problem using Mozilla in Linux under a freshly created username, so it's definitely not anything to do with my Windows setup.<br><br>Mozilla works fine for every other forum I use.<br><br>Are you using Mozilla 1.0?<br><br>Cheers dude.

Edited by Pat_Galea (08/24/02 10:02 AM)

#8584 - 08/24/02 11:29 AM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm using Mozilla 1.0, and have been for months, with no problems at all here. Make sure you haven't disabled cookies, that sounds like it's the problem.

#8585 - 08/24/02 12:09 PM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Pat_Galea Offline

Interesting.<br><br>No, I definitely haven't disabled cookies. It works fine with *every* other site I visit. I've checked that the cookies for this site haven't been individually disabled in the Cookie Manager. And I've also run the Linux version of Mozilla with a completely fresh setup (i.e. it had never ever visited this site before, and had not had any options configured) and it still fails the same way.<br><br>But it does look like Mozilla is behaving *as if* cookies were disabled. By monitoring the cookie file as I attempt to log in, I can see that it isn't even attempting to write the cookie.<br><br>Thanks for the input. The fact that it works for you guys helps me narrow down the problem. I'll probably have to grab the source code and debug the browser from scratch! Sounds like an obscure bug.

#8586 - 08/24/02 12:19 PM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Pat_Galea Offline

OK, this is weird.<br><br>I created a new account "PatGalea" with no underscore in the name. And that one works fine!<br><br>Thanks dudes. At least I know a way round the problem now.

#8587 - 08/24/02 04:16 PM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad you're making progress- I know others here have had problems with their accounts and it apparently had nothing to do with the browser, sounds like you've run afoul of some Hiesenbug in the forum software that crops up from time to time.<br><br>I should have mentioned that I'm running the Linux version of Mozilla. I've had exactly that symptom when I have disabled cookies.

#8588 - 08/24/02 04:50 PM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
> I should have mentioned that I'm running the Linux version of Mozilla<br><br>I've never thought there are so many Linux users here! Maybe you know how to use ETS forums with Galeon? I can't login with that browser and I keep Mozilla (1.0 now, but I also used older versions) only for ETS.

#8589 - 08/25/02 05:09 AM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Thanks for the input. The fact that it works for you guys helps me narrow down the problem. I'll probably have to grab the source code and debug the browser from scratch! Sounds like an obscure bug. "<br><br>Let me lead you through my checklist Pat:<br><br>1. Is the computer plugged in?<br>2. did I forget and use the cd rom drive as a cup holder again?<br>3. If problem is not resolved, go to the computer store and ask for help and come home having been sold a new computer that I didn't need and can't operate any better than the old one. <br><br>Hope this helps--you can see that I am truly an expert. Linux is Lucy's brother....right?

#8590 - 08/25/02 11:13 AM Re: ETS forums and Mozilla
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some of the Mozilla users might be using it underWindows... nah, we're probably all Linux users. :-)<br><br>>>Maybe you know how to use ETS forums with Galeon?<<<br><br>Sorry, I haven't used it. I hear it's fast, but I try to keep the Linux side (I dual boot) free of proprietary software. That's just me.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.