A local SAR team west of where I live rescued a couple of pups over the weekend.

Heart warming story and is an excellent way of demonstrating that SAR searches are not always about finding and saving people.

The search was initiated after some locals heard the puppies up in the cliffs then made some phone calls which ultimately led to SAR team being called to find and rescue the pups. Once again, SAR made the right decision as highlighted below.

“It’s day four that I’ve been listening to them whining and crying. They’re obviously in distress,” said Emma Wilfert, who lives nearby. “They’re howling and crying all day until dusk.”

She and her dad trekked out into the thick forest to try and figure out where the dogs were, and pinpointed them near the top of a high cliff that she knew she couldn’t climb.

“They’re going to need proper climbing equipment to rappel down and get to them,” she said.

The canines weren’t exactly the usual targets of Mission Search and Rescue, which is normally tasked by the RCMP to get to people stuck in the wilderness.

But the volunteers recognized if they didn’t go, someone else in the area might. And if that person got stuck in the thick forest, the crews would be called out anyway.

“It’s always a concern for us as search and rescue. We want to make sure the public is safe,” said SAR manager Dean Osen.

Similar post I shared 6 years ago, with the same reasoning why SAR rescued the dog:

Tim Jones, of North Shore Search and Rescue said volunteers, most of them strangers to Ohly’s human family, were determined to rescue the dog themselves. “This was a serious public safety concern,” said Jones. “If we hadn’t gone looking for that dog we would have had a rescue or a body recovery.”

To rescue a dog

John Lubbock