I'm packing my back pack for a unexpected night in the cold and hopefully not so damp, as a result of some bad decisions while snowmobiling in Idaho...I've got most of the hardware and clothing figured out, with a lot of help from this forum, but I'm still considering the food angle..I have in the past carried. Peanuts, raisins, hot cocoa mix, instant oatmeal packets, and a freezedried back packer's meal in the alum/foil type of container. I'm wondering what else might keep things going when we're cold and tired. Keep in mind that I pack it in october, and try not to use it just for a snack, and would like it to stay edible through april. I also hope to have some left overs from my lunch/snacks that I pack for the day. But, with Murphy hanging around, I will of course be spending the night after having eaten it all. And worst case, I will have just fell in a creek, so energy is the worry. I'm assuming I'll get a fire going and some shelter, and my stainless mug will heat snow for water... So, suggestions please. Light weight is a consideration because I don't want to ever be tempted into leaving my heavy pack behind.
Thank you all in advance, This forum is a fantastic resource.