I just finished reading an article in a magazine on the top 10 DIY tools that every homeowner should have (or something like that). It got me thinking about which tools everybody should have on hand. I guess I've always been lucky and have access to more tools than a Home Depot. But often when going over to a friends place, they'll ask me to fix something for them, and usually they won't even have a decent pliers or screwdriver in the house, so you have to resort to some creative substitutions to get things done.

So I was thinking about making a basic list of just the most essential tools people should have around the house in an emergency, or just what I would like them to have in case I'm over there on a sunday night trying to fix something

1) 10"-12" adjustable wrench - This can be used to turn off gas or water mains, plus just comes in handy for bolts and stuff.

2) 2 pipe wrenches - Sometimes you can get away with 1, but it's always better to use 2 otherwise you can turn a small repair into a big one

3) Hammer - For those things that need a gentle nudge. A 3 lb sledge is pretty handy too, but a regular framing hammer is adequate

4) Electric drill/driver, drill bits, and drywall screws - If duct tape can't hold it, drywall screws can. I know an electric drill needs electricity, but a battery operated drill just won't last very long driving screws. And most people who don't have many tools, won't keep a cordless drill charged anyway, so you'll need electricty one way or another. I assume most people would have some type of extensions cords laying around, but if not that would also need to be added.

5) Pry bar - no explanation needed

6) Set of screwdrivers - 3 phillips, 3 flat head, in the most common sizes. A 4-in-1 screwdriver with the reversible bits is pretty handy most of the time, but there are some things that need a regular screwdriver

7) Channellock/slip joint pliers - Not always the best tool for the job, but a very versatile one

8) Vise Grip - Similar to #7. There are times when these are a lifesaver. Pliers are the one thing that can't really be improvised.

9) Utility knife - Steak knives are for cutting steak, not for home repairs

10) Small Soldering iron - a lot of home repairs are just loose wires or bad connections

These are just tools that would be useful to have around in an emergency, it won't cover all situations, just the importants ones. They don't even have to be the expensive name brand tools, you can probably pick up everything on the list for <$50. I have never seen a hand tool wear out, so buying used is a good way to save money. I'm sure I'm forgetting something important, other people probably have better suggestions

FYI, here was the list from the magazine (or most of what I could remember). Keep in mind it's probably aimed torward the DIY homeowner for minor projects, not necessarily emergency repairs

1) Pry bar
2) Tool belt
3) Y-shaped allen wrench (for assembing the ikea furniture that uses hex screws)?
4) Plumb bob
5) Cat's paw
6) block plane
7) Jewelers screwdrivers
8) Putty knife
9) & 10) I can't remember